Is SMS important?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Minhthien, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I am planning to move my stock HDD 750gb(Toshiba) to optibay it and SSD in my main bay. I did couple research and found out my Stock HDD doesn't have built-in SMS? Do I need to get a HDD with SMS? How important is SMS?
    The price of HDD is so high now almost high as the ssd!

2. happle macrumors 6502a

it depends on what you can afford. can you afford to buy a HD with a G sensor in it right now? if not just use the one you have without the sensor. just make sure you backup your drives. also most of the time the sms sensor does not kick in unless you drop your computer, so if you are careful you will be fine.

and i read somewhere that the sms sensor still works in the optibay but im not sure on how reliable the source was. id try and do some research on that subject. but dont take random people just assuming it doesnt work, try and find something from a legitimate source.

3. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

So you are saying if I don't move my computer around while working then the Stock is fine? I will be store many important photos mostly RAW files and Movies. If the stock is fine for now then I am happy with it! Have you check out the HDD price lately due to flood in Thailand?

4. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

As long as you don't drop your computer I don't think it really matters.

5. happle macrumors 6502a

yeah they suck. i need to buy one soon too :(

and you can still move you computer, i would just try not to drop it obviously or throw it on your bed. even then it will be fine. many pc laptops dont even have a built in sms feature and you dont see them babying their computers.

but like i said i would always back up your data on an external drive to be safe, not only for the SMS reason but just in general.

and like i said i read somewhere that sms still works for the optibay drive so you might just be in luck...

6. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

But doesn't you drive have to have SMS for SMS to work? Again am not sure but i read somewhere saying that Apple Stock HDD doesn't come with sms? When ever the price come back down I might grab one of these! What do you think of this one? Before the flood was only 139 now its 239!:eek:

7. happle macrumors 6502a

no actually apple recommends that your drive does not have the sensor in it because macbooks have their own sensor built in that make the drive park its heads. thats why their stock hard drives dont have built in sensors. if your drive has a sensor, apple recommends you shut the sensor off on the macbook, get it?

and yeah the WD scorpio blue is nice. im assuming you dont use your mac for any audio/video/photo editing? if not then the blue is an excellent choice. if you need more performance, the black is an even better choice.

8. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I do photo editing/video! Black one is 7200rpm and my Data Doubler is only hold 2 screws of the HDD instead of 4. Thats why i think the 5400rpm is more on the safe side. But I guess I will just use my Stock one for now and back up with the time machine! Time machine will back up the Main SSD and HDD too right? I will format it HFS+!

9. simsaladimbamba

Yes, it will, unless you excluded it.
    Time Machine FAQ

10. happle macrumors 6502a

yeah thats what ill be getting is the WD scorpio black 750gb + OWC 128gb 6gbps SSD

i heard that it does backup both drives. im not sure if you have to make it back up both or if it does it automatically. i will be asking that same question in about a week when i get my new MBP and do the SSD + optibay combo.

btw i found a much cheaper caddy that holds the drive better and is much cheaper. it looks like the ebay ones but it actually fits perfectly and securely. im going to use that one. im also might put some electrical tape between that and the drive just to stop some vibration.

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Strangely the Seagate that came in my late 2011 is the G sensor model...

12. happle macrumors 6502a

thats odd. never heard of that before. maybe they shut your built in sms off on your mac then?

13. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yeah agreed. Both my previous machines (2006 MBP and a 2008 Alu MacBook) had the onboard sensor and a normal drive.

The sensor is enabled at the moment, perhaps it's disabled on the drive via firmware?

Sensor :
    [​IMG]

HDD :
    [​IMG]

The ASG is the sensor equipped drive. The AS is the standard drive. Incidentally I have an identical AS that came out of the 2008 machine as the OEM Hitachi went back in.

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Since when? HDDs are cheap...

15. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

You need to do some reading there my friend! This drive cost 139 last year now its at 239!

16. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That's interesting. It's also just market play. I haven't noticed a significant increase in HDD prices per GB recently, ignoring statistical outliers like your example.

Still, you'd never find a SSD at that capacity for that price. When you say that HDDs are almost as much as SSDs now, you have to take into account capacity...

17. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

It's the flooding in Thailand.

I think the poster was intentionally exaggerating. But the higher HD prices do indeed make SSD's more cost effective in comparison. (By just a little anyway).

18. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Try telling that to my friend who lives in Bangkok who's house is under 5 feet of water and has been for three weeks.

19. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Ouch. Look, I'm not denying anything (I didn't even know about the flooding in Thailand, and I'm very sorry to hear it). Natural disasters, while they suck, are part of what affects the market.

My point is only that saying HDDs are as expensive as SSDs right now is horribly inaccurate as they are still, per GB, dirt cheap compared to SSDs.

Besides, you make it out to sound like I said something like flooding is a natural part of the way the market works. I doubt your friend in Thailand would contest that the flooding is driving the prices of HDDs up, and that the price rise is to be expected given the situation, though I also doubt he would at all care. I hope that he/she is able to recover from the current situation.

20. Minhthien thread starter macrumors 6502

Here you go!

21. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Source?

On the contrary! Apple writes here:
    Apple Portables: Advanced tips for Sudden Motion Sensor
    See also:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13832229#post13832229

:)