Is Snes4iPhone Worth It? Or Any Nintendo Type App?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HappyDude20, Jun 25, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm feeling Nostalgic and am wanting to play Nintendo games on my iPhone.

I've seen like two different Nintendo "emulator" (whatever that means) apps in Cydia and an wondering which one is the best.

I see this Snes4iphone app is like $5 but am wondering if I'd had to purchase individual nintendo games within the app?

I'll not be wanting to further purchase individualgames. But I would like Mario kart, super Mario, etc.

Truth is I'm starting this thread not knowing anythig about these apps but wanting to play Nintendo games on my new iphOne.

Cheers !!

2. Phil-82 macrumors member

The deal breaker is really whether or not you like the interfaces or not. Each app has a different one. All I can really say is just look on youtube. There is one app however that lets you use your wii remote which makes playing a whole lot easier; youtube that too. In regards to the games (Roms) I think all of the emulators have all the classics and more but if not you can download them off the internet and put them on. (Legally, if you have a purchased copy off the game you are downloading)

3. QuarterSwede, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

snes4iphone is my current favorite and you can use the Wii remotes (classic included) as controllers. I do find that downloading ROMs is easier on SNES A.D. though.

Although, I have just noticed a newer free entry called Snes9x EX by Rakashazi (Robert Broglia, explusalpha.com). It's universal (iPhone and iPad). Apparently Zod's (snes9x4iphone) and Bslapps' (SNES A.D.) emus are violating the SNES9X license which prohibits commercial use (charging for the app).

[EDIT] I just tried Snes9x EX and it works wonderfully. It has some trouble with FX games like Stunt Race FX or Star Fox but I'm sure that'll be remedied in a future release as he seems to be an active dev. Generally it's just audio skipping so they're still playable. It has a menu that reminds me of Windows Phone 7 (Metro UI) so it's really just large white text on a black background but it's very functional. Also, you can go from landscape to portrait by tilting as you would expect the iDevice to act. I really like it so far.

Snes9x Ex

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Emulators are a huge battery drain but they're fun if you need to pass a few minutes and only have your iPhone handy. I use the paid Game Boy emulator as well as the paid NES emulator and I like them both. If you've got a few spare bucks lying around then they're definitely worth it just to have.

Although you can download the ROMS from inside the emulator, it is considered illegal to download ROM files of games that the original copies you do not own.

5. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Go with the A.D.+ emulators (SNES A.D.+, NES A.D.+, etc). They're free and work great, particularly paired with a Wiimote.