Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
I am still running Apple's old OS. Just wondering if people noticed performance improvement with Snow Leopard (specifically..with Safari and overall memory usage). I often find visual memory being taken hostage by whatever internet browser is open.

any other opinions on snow leopard?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
For the £29 (I think thats what it costs) its worth it! I haven't noticed any massive improvements but I find quicker to use than Leopard.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The easy answer for 25 bucks for an upgrade, sure its worth it.

What's your hardware and current OS? If everything is working fine on your current system and have no burning desire to move to 10.6, why not stick with what you have.

SL brings some different technologies to the table, like a cocoa based finder instead of carbon, that provides some different polished features. It also has a 64bit kernel if your computer is compatible. It has some technologies for multi-core machines, and other under the hood type changes that really doesn't affect the user experience, i.e., you won't notice it.

That means there's less wiz-bang features for the consumer to get excited about. Again for the price, its tough to pass by, but if you're happy with what you currently have, then why not stick with that.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
i have the first generation uni macbook (late 2008) so I assume that it can handle the new OS. I guess the reason I am looking into it is that I do find my mac has some really random issues...like...safari is almost being unbearable to surf on. (have to use firefox...which works fine). And the wifi goes out randomly from time to time. (when I use safari..my actual wireless modem goes in and out). Meanwhile wifi is pretty much fine when using firefox. weird huh.

and I do find memory being an issue. I think i have 2GB, so I am not sure why safari or firefox would take up nearly all of that memory at times. I had the spin wheel of death for 5 minutes this morning, and I am thinking to myself...will snow leopard solve this...its kind of silly to put up with these minor issues if $29 will solve the problem.

then...I think i see the writing on the wall. Facetime using iChat will require snow leopard down the road. So i figure why not just buy snow leopard now. I actually dont have huge plans for my macbook....waiting for iPad to really take its place...so thats the other angle to it.

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Definitely worth the upgrade. While there are no headline features, there are so many little things that I have come across that are very useful improvements!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.