Is software update online necessary?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cecil B., Sep 21, 2009.

1. Cecil B. macrumors newbie

hello guys, because its the first time i use MAC and maybe im afraid to have a new update on my software because it will not be easy for me use it after upgrading.

is there anybody regret after they did it? should i go for update?
    thank you guys for your time,
    all your help will be too much appreciated....

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Software updates usually fixes bugs more than adds something new... What update you're going to do? IMO, it's safe

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I typically like to hold off and see if there's any reports of issues. For instance, apple seemingly rushed the .1 fix for Snow Leopard out the door and there's a lot of reports of issues. So much so, I'm holding off on updating my system

Software updates are bug fixes but that doesn't mean apple doesn't introduce new bugs. While rare, updates have made the system worse then before the update (I think this is the case with 10.6.1)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

In 4 years of using Macs, I've only had 1 issue with the online software update. Unfortunately it was the first time I tried to update an iBook G4 and the result was the modem wouldn't work anymore. I had to re-install and re-update and it was fine.

Since then I've not had any problems with software update on the iBook G4, an iMac 24", and a 13" MBP.

I do take precautions now; before updating I clone the boot disk to an external disk via SuperDuper so that if the update does screw something up I can easily go back. I also use time machine, but only for files I lose.

5. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

I download pretty much every update I'm offered. Never had a problem yet.

But then again, I don't really mess too much with my system, so updates are a known quantity.

6. Cecil B. thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you guys....

to have info about the update it will be the iphoto, safari, itune and other default application... i think 13 applications they are trying to update in my system.

ok, i will go for update...