is somebody on my network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bosox3, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Bosox3 macrumors regular

Bosox3

Im not sure whats going on but this has happened a few times before.
    Im on Itunes and I see on the left side it says Shared : patricks limewire tunes.

I could see if my wi-fi isnt locked but it is. I used to not have it locked..so is it maybe he might know the password used?

Im using WEP.

ok..as im typing..I now have Matts limewire tunes popped up...anyone know whats going on?

could this be associated w/ songs ive Dl'd elsewhere but having ties w/ these people..?

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

yea he probably crack WEP it isn't that strong, i would change the password and then look for a stronger Encryption:apple:

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

^ yeah, if you can use WPA or WPA2. I really doubt he'd be able to crack that.

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

yea i agree, i also suggest you make a password that is 128-bit :apple:

5. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

do you live in a dorm or apartment building? because i have everyones library from itunes on my floor they just get shared some how but above statements are true..i would switch to wpa2 for sure

6. Bosox3 thread starter macrumors regular

Bosox3

I live in an area with many condos all around me. I would love to switch from wep but the router that im using only has wpa radius and wpa pre-shared key besides the WEP.
    Im currently using 128 bit WEP.

ok..I dont get whats going on..haha

Since changing the password to the router and wi-fi..I know have "nina limewire tunes " that popped up.

Is there a way I can check to see what computers..ect are on my network?

7. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

buy a new router
    that has WPA
    i suggest a N-draft Netgear

8. Bosox3 thread starter macrumors regular

Bosox3

Im thinking its not people tapping into my network now..Ive had around 5-6 different names pop up and it just doesnt seem like all these people are getting in my network.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well if you think people arent getting into your network and its just their limewire sending their shared saved folder to itunes then uncheck "look for shared libraries" in itunes' shared preferences. also uncheck "itunes sharing" on your OS X firewall. that is of course if you dont use itunes for library sharing.
    plus i suggest you find out who these shared libraries belong to and tell them that you can see their shared saved folders. could be really embarrassing for them if you tell them you can see whatever they download in limewire. 90% of the time its illegal music of pron ;)

10. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i'm pretty sure this iTunes thing is nothing to worry about...when i'm at uni, there's heaps of those on my laptop...not sure if it's accessed through the network...or just direct wireless...but i find it pretty cool

but then again, i don't have the problem (?) at home, so i'm not fussed

11. jbstew32 macrumors regular

what kind of router do you have? your router most likely has a way for you to view the DHCP table that will show you all the clients currently connected, along with their IP, MAC address, and probably some other descriptors.

give that a shot...if you know you have 3 computers connected, but you see 6 listed, that'd be a dead give away lol

it's probably nothing to worry about, but if you live in an apartment complex, chances are someone might want free internet just bad enough to break your WEP.

12. Bosox3 thread starter macrumors regular

Bosox3

Im using an older linksys wireless router.

thanks for everyones help. I'll uncheck those options in Itunes and see what happens. I have a feeling that thats all it was.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

do you know how to log into the router? i would do that and see how many clients are connected

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Do you use Limewire? Is there something in Limewire's software that allows for iTunes sharing over the Internet (as opposed to wifi)?

Maybe there's a setting in the Limewire application.

15. Bosox3 thread starter macrumors regular

Bosox3

Yea, I can access my router, I'll try that when I get home from work and see whats going on.

Limewire isnt installed on my computers. I dont trust those "known" p2p apps.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

Do you pay an ISP for your own DSL or cable modem, or does the Internet come included in the place you live?

17. paulyras macrumors 6502

I think that's the key. I remember early on in the days of cable internet, you could look on "your" lan and see all of your neighbor's computers.

I'd recommend two things. 1- check the logs of your router for MAC addresses connected. You might even want to specify what MAC addresses can connect, though that's a pain in the butt when your friends bring their puters over.

2- Do a port scan using an online tool. If your ports are all closed (don't need to be stealth) according to an outside source, you're probably OK.

Oh, and 3- Download all the good songs from your neighbors.

18. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Maybe it's not a security problem on your end, but the other people's and your computer is just picking up on it. Sounds like you have things reasonably secure on your side.

19. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

why dont you change the password see if they still come up. That might be a good test initially till they crack it again.

20. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

limewire makes a shared folder on itunes as soon as you install it and you need a new router or better password, that includes numbers and letters random

21. Roric macrumors regular

You say you live in a condo with lots of people around. Are you sure you are connecting to YOUR router and not someone else's? If there is an open wireless network, your computer could be connecting to it.

You said that you changed the password on your router and wireless, yet are still seeing others' popping up in your itunes...and are more concerned you can see them and how to not see them instead of concerned with WHY they are there and WHY you still see them after changing your password.

Also, you said your computer has WPA pre-shared key. This is WPA. Use it instead of WEP.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

I have a friend who rents a condo from a condo association that provides "free Internet". Guess it's supposed to make him feel better about the fees? :D

So every condo has a network jack in the living room, and if you plug your computer (or a router) into it, you're on the Internet. No cable/DSL modem required.

Thing is, they don't do anything to isolate the different condos from each other.

So if the lady in condo #1 fires up her iTunes and has a shared library, anyone else in that association can see her library (assuming none of them are running their own firewalls) because it's the WIRED network that is being shared.

23. applebum macrumors 6502

iTunes feature

Ok - this isn't a router thing or a password thing. While in iTunes, go to Preferences and then click Sharing. There should be a couple of check boxes - one should say "look for shared music", and the other should say "share my music". My guess is yours is checked to look for shared music and everyone who you are seeing is sharing their music. If you have share my music checked as well, all these people can see your music. That is all there is to it. Don't go changing your router or password, cause it is nothing sinister.

24. jbstew32 macrumors regular

it's only something to worry about if it's a private home network that you are connected to. If it's the general use free condo internet, of course you will see other people's iTunes libraries.