Is someone on my network?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheShinyMac, Aug 28, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Hey in my Finder window there is my iMac and then there is the other icon with a window BSOD computer. What could it be. I only have an xbox 360 connected via ethernet and a horrible "wireless" HP printer that I cannot set up the wireless function. For my paranoid reasons I am only attaching a portion of the MAC address in finder

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you running Windows in Parallels or VM Fusion on your Mac? What kind of network setup do you have, wired/wireless? Is your wireless network secured with WPA or WPA2?

3. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I used to have a bootcamp partition on my Macbook pro, so no more windows I believe. I use Wireless N I believe and ethernet for the imac and xbox. We use WPA which is just characters and no numbers

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That devices MAC address - compare it to your computer, look at the xbox and the printer - look at the device info within the network settings (sometimes, even on a sticker located on the device).

Check your router (log in - and if you have the default user name / password CHANGE THEM - and change your key too) - you can disable that MAC address (filter it) and if sometime of yours ceases to work....

5. Yossarian macrumors member

That MAC address is an Apple product (first 3 octets of a Mac address are the manufacturer, see lookup here http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/?string=001ec2).

Get a terminal on your mac and do 'ifconfig' and see if that's your MAC address. Also do 'arp -a' on a command line to see if you have the IP address cached, is that your local IP or another one?

Alternatively you can see your own MAC address in System Prefs -> Network -> Advanced -> Ethernet.

6. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Hey. I will change the default login info but the SSID code is secure I believe. I just changed it from our usual password. How can I get the MAC address of the xbox?

7. Yossarian macrumors member

That is definitely not an XBox, see post above. Whatever it is the manufacturer of that ethernet interface is Apple.

8. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I really am at a loss. What is this thing! My Macbook Pro MAC address appears to me to be different. Could it be my iPhone? It is not connected to my wi fi at the moment though. This is annoying as I don't know what this device is doing

9. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Your MBP has two MAC addresses. One for wired Ethernet and Airport. It could be that.

10. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Ok guys good news! I got onto my iMac and found out that the MAC address in the screenshot is from my iMac. Now how would I go about making the computer not show up in Finder, I also turned off file sharing but that did not work