Is someone on my network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wiggz, Jul 8, 2012.

1. wiggz, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

wiggz macrumors newbie

Under the finder there is sometimes a folder/sections called "Shared". When I click on it the only file in there says "Canon Folder" which I'm assuming is a picture folder, but I can't do anything with it. When I get info on the main folder it says it's a PC. None of my roommates has a PC with the name that this one shows up as.

Does this mean someone is periodically using my network? If so how do I stop them/kick them off? We have a password already.

EDIT
    Also, there is an option for me to "Connect As". Guys, I have no idea what anything means on anything haha.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Do you perchance have a Canon printer on your network? If you do I bet that that is it and it has some sort of a server system that your Mac is picking up via bonjour. Just a guess though.

3. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Same thing for me, only I noticed mine said "memory card"

Anyone know anything about this???

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Some printers offer slots to put in SD cards from cameras.

However without knowing if there is anything on the network there is no way to tell what it could be. That’s why I asked about a network printer.

5. wiggz thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah one of my roomies has a cannon printer on the network but I wasn't too sure since it was described as a "PC" on the finder. This must be it though thanks!

6. pdjudd macrumors 601

It might be because the copier might have some form of windows sharing or that just happens to be an identifier. The name “canon” tipped me off since this is common with network printers that can receive files or does any sort of file transfer (say from a scanner built in).