Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChitoCrisis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
California
I just got it in the mail yesterday and I've been using it non-stop (except for sleep and going to work). I think there is something wrong with it. One of the USB ports doesn't seem to work. Not only that but it looks like tiny sparks start appearing as the usb touches the port. I know this is not normal. I should contact Apple and get mine replaced? Can I do this at the store?

Edit: Ok, I think I know what it is. It doesn't appear to be the iMac but the usb cable that came with the bluray drive I bought.

X-Ravin

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Sounds like the solder for the jack short circuited the connections. Would explain a spark and a non functional port.

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
I just got it in the mail yesterday and I've been using it non-stop (except for sleep and going to work). I think there is something wrong with it. One of the USB ports doesn't seem to work. Not only that but it looks like tiny sparks start appearing as the usb touches the port. I know this is not normal. I should contact Apple and get mine replaced? Can I do this at the store?

Edit: Ok, I think I know what it is. It doesn't appear to be the iMac but the usb cable that came with the bluray drive I bought.

Also, while tiny sparks sounds bad, I've seen it before with powered USB devices against the Alu on my MBP. If it doesn't work in any port, and other USB devices work in those ports, I'd agree that it's probably the cable or the downstream device as you say.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Also, while tiny sparks sounds bad, I've seen it before with powered USB devices against the Alu on my MBP. If it doesn't work in any port, and other USB devices work in those ports, I'd agree that it's probably the cable or the downstream device as you say.

I'd second the sparks from powered USB devices. I have 2 powered USB hubs that spark on the iMac enclosure when I fiddle around to plug them into the iMac.

jg321

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2012
UK
I'd second the sparks from powered USB devices. I have 2 powered USB hubs that spark on the iMac enclosure when I fiddle around to plug them into the iMac.

I believe it's to do with ground looping - in that both the case and the shielding of the USB port are grounded, and when they make contact the small amount of current flowing creates sparks.

I've also seen it with VGA and HDMI cables, and even TV aerials!

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
Put your tongue on the case and hold a cold water pipe with one hand; now plug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.