Is something wrong with my iMac G5? Or am I doing something wrong?

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Bristol, England.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Go to "apple menu->System Preferences...->Energy Saver->Options", set the processor speed to "highest", and rerun; I'd be interested in the difference. Your CPU is testing way too slow.

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Bristol, England.
jsw said:
Go to "apple menu->System Preferences...->Energy Saver->Options", set the processor speed to "highest", and rerun; I'd be interested in the difference. Your CPU is testing way too slow.
Alright, made a new benchmark (thanks for the tip), didn't restart or do anything special to enhance it at all.

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc2=93926

What do you think now? That seems much better and the system feels much faster.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Much better! For whatever reason, G5's have enormous performance improvements with that setting - but it will generate more heat/use more power, so your fans may come on more often.

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Bristol, England.
jsw said:
Much better! For whatever reason, G5's have enormous performance improvements with that setting - but it will generate more heat/use more power, so your fans may come on more often.
Wow! It feels like my Mac just got turned into a McLaren F1 after living it's life as a Volvo for a few years lol.

The fans don't bother me as my iMac is living next to a wind tunnel of a PC anyway :).

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Funny.

I had a score of 113 when I tried it last night. This morning I found I had it also set on automatic. Now it jumped up to 154.53. Sweet. Wish I knew what that meant.

EDIT: Whoooah Nelly. There really is a noticeable difference. She's quite a bit more zippy even when just opening and closing programs. Now I gotta try photoshop and some other things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.