Is Sony DRX820U External Burner Mac compatible?

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
I was hoping someone might own one or know someone who uses the DRX820U with a Mac. I work at CompUSA and want to use my discount to pick up a external burner, but we hardly have anything. I figured Sony is the most likely to work with the Mac (non of our burners say Mac compatible on the box). Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
corywoolf said:
I was hoping someone might own one or know someone who uses the DRX820U with a Mac. I work at CompUSA and want to use my discount to pick up a external burner, but we hardly have anything. I figured Sony is the most likely to work with the Mac (non of our burners say Mac compatible on the box). Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.
I don't know. Check out sony's site or have a look on the box. I have a sony DRX-810UL that works fine with my mac. Works wih iMove and is a dual layer burner.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Nermal said:
This database is good for checking compatibility. Alas, nobody's submitted the 820, but it will most likely work without any issues.
Thanks for the link, but of course I read the box and it says Windows only. I have looked all over the web and couldn't find any proof of any success with it on a Mac. I am thinking of just buying a Lacie with LightScribe online and not taking advantage of my employee discount.

amattar

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2006
I just bought one and it works fine using Toast v7.1. I'm using a 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, OSX 10.4.8.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Update: CompUSA finally just started carrying the official Mac supported burner!

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I just have read a test in the dutch Mac Magazine about the this Sony burner. It works perfect under os X.4, under X.3 or below you'll need Toast. Only downside in the test was that it doesn't handle DVD-RAM well (very slow). Another downside is that is only comes with Windows burn software. In the test they used a PM G4 from 5 years ago with X.4.

squirrelonfire

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
it works

i just bought it. When you plug in the USB cable into the mac, nothing will happen, different from the Windows, an annoying window will pop up and blah blah blah.
However, if you insert a disc into the drive, mac will start reading the drive.
Toast read the drive just fine. I was able to burn disc too at super fast speed. Sweet