Is Sony the Mac of the PC world?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gan6660, Sep 27, 2008.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Ok before i got my Vaio FW i read many reviews and most say SOny is the Mac of the PC world. is this true i mean:
    1. there both expensive
    2. both look good
    3. both have a support desk at their store
    4. both have spaces keys on the keyboard.

2. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

That's nonsensically subjective. They're more like Apple than most manufacturers but you're asking 'If Apple are the Apple of the world of Mac is Sony the equiv. in the PC world?' the question is garbage as Apple are the only player in the Mac realm therefore you cannot separate out defining characters.

Bottom line, yes, they both cost a bit more and they both look nicer but to say 'Apple of PC world is a non statement'.

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

From a design perspective as well as innovation Sony has always done a bit more in the PC space than a lot of the other "me too" companies.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I've seen that parallel drawn more than once but me personally ..I can't see it, despite those reasons. I agree with the poster who said that it's really a non-comparison.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not really, but yes, Sony's do have a higher starting price point just like Apple. It does look a little better. But it chokes your choice of the OS, I can't configure a laptop to have Vista Ultimate unless it's like 3000 or more. Simply not an option.

6. mrmo123 macrumors newbie

yes, but sony hardware > apple hardware
    whereas sony software < apple software

life's a tradeoff....

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I agree.

And Sony has done far more with computer hardware than Apple with regards to innovation as well. Apple's innovation is more in software, UI, etc. Apple computers look pretty and have a great OS to go with it, but innovation? Not a word you'd normally use to describe Apple's computers.

8. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Sony makes the best looking computers in the world.

9. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

Sony's the only laptop brand I'd consider for windows.

But I don't think Sony is the "Mac" of the PC world... since macs pretty much use the same innards as any other PC, Macs are part of the pc world, making macs THE mac of the pc world.

:D Did i make sense?

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Sony's hold their value... for me at least when I've sold my previous VAIO laptops :D. Shoot even one was broken and I got over $400 for it LOL. I've always loved Sony's Styleing.Would be cool to see Mac and Sony join forces.

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Sony is my second favorite tech company. If I cant get something from Apple, I generally get it from Sony.

They are the next best thing, really.