Is speed alone reason enough to upgrade from iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rdstoll, May 24, 2011.

1. rdstoll macrumors 6502

I've been using my iPad more and more for business use, taking notes, managing multiple calendars and email accounts. It handles everything fine but I have noticed that it is rather slow and I'm just wondering whether the speed difference on the iPad 2 is really that much better than the iPad 1 or just marginally so. Looking for opinions from those folks that are heavier users of the iPad for business purposes.

2. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

No. I see no discernable difference in speed. I upgraded only to get the camera for skype (though I also really, really like the smartcover). For my money, if you don't need the camera, there's no reason to upgrade.

3. patrickj macrumors regular

The iPad 2 is faster in just about every way possible. Faster Safari page loads, faster switching between apps. Apps launch faster. And so on.

I think the speed boost is very noticeable.

4. benchlegs macrumors member

benchlegs

I have asked myself the same question and came up with no, not at this time. I'll wait for the iPad 3 to come out then possibly upgrade.

IMHO the ipad2 is definitely faster, but not worth the extra hundreds it will cost me to upgrade.

5. megsandbytes macrumors member

that's good advice, I can't imagine there will be that long of a wait for the iPad 3 to come out anyway. In other words, if someone does end up buying an iPad 2 right now then soon after the iPad 3 comes out they'll just be back in the same position asking "Is the iPad 3 faster and a better investment?".

not that there's anything wrong with buying an iPad 2, just sayin' though

6. rdstoll thread starter macrumors 6502

That's been my plan - to wait for iPad 3 - which I'm sure will be a step-function in terms of functionality. Doing just fine with the original iPad but have to admit that sifting through hundreds of emails can sometimes be a drag as the device simply is not that fast.

7. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

If you already have the original iPad, there is almost no reason to get a iPad 2. However, if you don't already have an iPad and want to get one, the iPad 2 is a good one to get.

In other words, if you already have an iPad, wait for the iPad 3 or even iPad 4 before buying another one. The iPad 2 is not enough of an upgrade to justify upgrading from an iPad but is solid enough of a device for people who do not already own an iPad to get one.

8. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Perfectly put.
    /Thread