Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdstoll

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I've been using my iPad more and more for business use, taking notes, managing multiple calendars and email accounts. It handles everything fine but I have noticed that it is rather slow and I'm just wondering whether the speed difference on the iPad 2 is really that much better than the iPad 1 or just marginally so. Looking for opinions from those folks that are heavier users of the iPad for business purposes.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
No. I see no discernable difference in speed. I upgraded only to get the camera for skype (though I also really, really like the smartcover). For my money, if you don't need the camera, there's no reason to upgrade.

patrickj

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Texas
The iPad 2 is faster in just about every way possible. Faster Safari page loads, faster switching between apps. Apps launch faster. And so on.

I think the speed boost is very noticeable.

benchlegs

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
Arizona
I have asked myself the same question and came up with no, not at this time. I'll wait for the iPad 3 to come out then possibly upgrade.

IMHO the ipad2 is definitely faster, but not worth the extra hundreds it will cost me to upgrade.

megsandbytes

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
I have asked myself the same question and came up with no, not at this time. I'll wait for the iPad 3 to come out then possibly upgrade.

IMHO the ipad2 is definitely faster, but not worth the extra hundreds it will cost me to upgrade.

that's good advice, I can't imagine there will be that long of a wait for the iPad 3 to come out anyway. In other words, if someone does end up buying an iPad 2 right now then soon after the iPad 3 comes out they'll just be back in the same position asking "Is the iPad 3 faster and a better investment?".

not that there's anything wrong with buying an iPad 2, just sayin' though

rdstoll

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008

That's been my plan - to wait for iPad 3 - which I'm sure will be a step-function in terms of functionality. Doing just fine with the original iPad but have to admit that sifting through hundreds of emails can sometimes be a drag as the device simply is not that fast.

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA
If you already have the original iPad, there is almost no reason to get a iPad 2. However, if you don't already have an iPad and want to get one, the iPad 2 is a good one to get.

In other words, if you already have an iPad, wait for the iPad 3 or even iPad 4 before buying another one. The iPad 2 is not enough of an upgrade to justify upgrading from an iPad but is solid enough of a device for people who do not already own an iPad to get one.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
If you already have the original iPad, there is almost no reason to get a iPad 2. However, if you don't already have an iPad and want to get one, the iPad 2 is a good one to get.

In other words, if you already have an iPad, wait for the iPad 3 or even iPad 4 before buying another one. The iPad 2 is not enough of an upgrade to justify upgrading from an iPad but is solid enough of a device for people who do not already own an iPad to get one.

Perfectly put.
/Thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.