Is sport dust proof?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MrMister111, Aug 17, 2015.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68010

I know the watch is IPX7 and this looks to mean that it hasn't been rated for the dust, signified by the X.

At the moment I'm not wearing my watch when at work, so a lot of the time it's not tracking etc and only wearing it when off a few days.

So is it dust proof as I work in a dusty, dirty environment and am not only worried on scratching it, but also the dust and dirt problem to.

Anyone use it in these environments? Anyone comment on the IP rating.

Thanks

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If it will not allow water in dust should not get in either. I would wash your watch regularly to get rid of any dust or grit. The grit will be very abrasive and could/would scratch.

Why six posts?

Now SEVEN POSTS!

Now TEN POSTS!

3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

The IP Code is drawn up by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) to determine the dust and water resistance of devices.
    The first digit marks the resistance to dust particles - so in the Apple Watch's case the 'X' means there is no certified protection rating. This doesn't mean that the Apple Watch has no resistance, the device simply hasn't been tested and certified.

4. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

Worried as it's a lot of grit and dirt that could get about my hands etc.

Sorry for multiple posts! (Now deleted), my app crashed and kept posting!

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like you either need to wear some kind of case on the watch or maybe not wear it while working. Dust or grit on the screen and then rubbed could cause a bad scuff on the watch face.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is NOT a mechanical watch. Look inside you Mac and see if it is dust resistant. Or better yet go to a car mechanics shop and look inside their computer. :eek: Computers work fine for years in dusty environments. Usually fans fail first (mechanical) because of dust. Even if small amounts of dust gets into the case it is not likely to cause ANY problems and you will NEVER know it is in there. :D

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree with the poster who said that if the Apple watch is water proof, it should also be dust proof -- I mean, how fine does dust particles have to be to get into spaces that water can't get through?

That said, if dust does get in under the screen, then it could cause problems with viewing the display.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The OLED and crystal are laminated and this not likely at all. If there is a way for dust to get into the OLED/crystal then water will hit and destroy it first. OLEDs are super sensitive to water damage.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

All the X in IPX7 means is it hasn't been tested against the entry of dust, regardless of what dust protection it actually has.

Have we ever seen iPhones fail due to dust? If not, there's no reason to be concerned about dust in the Watch.

10. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

My iPhone is in a case, then inside a pouch in my pocket. The watch won't have any protection on, be on my wrist, more likely at work to get knocked about, and more open to the dust and dirt though.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can resort to getting one of those ugly cases for your Watch, or simply get AC+.

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

"surface tension" (the property water has but dust not has. water also has great cohesion and adhesion properties.)

the watch is not a waterproof either, it is only water resistant. water has a feature called surface tension. the watch may be water resistant, but not resist water containg soap because the surface tension is lost.

best way to check the dust rating is to go to the beach and be there a day or two and check the watch how much dust it has inside... :D (or better not to test)

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It is at least waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes in normal (non-soapy) water, as indicated by its IPX7 rating. One could argue there's no such thing as "waterproof" as anything could sustain water ingress at a great enough pressure.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No device is 'waterproof' without a qualification. This is such an overused/incorrectly used term. Devices can only be called 'waterproof' within their respected rating.

So the :apple:Watch IS 'weatherproof' IPx7 rated.

EDIT: I see I was just repeating what JayLenochiniMac already said.

15. mrex, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015

mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

waterproof term is missused often as they always talk only about water or dust resistant using ip ratings or 'water resistant ratings' like real watch manufacturers use.

it should be also remembered that ip ratings doesnt say anything about humidity. if you think about that your apple watch is water resistant as ipx7 indicates, it doesnt mean that you can go to the steam room with it and be fully protected from moisture. ip rating only talks about liquid water (or dust particles). of course, the higher the numbers are (IPxy) the better it is sealed.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, that's a given as the IPX7 rating only indicates being able to withstand submerging in liquid water to 1 meter for 30 minutes.

17. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Watch is not dust proof. While you don't have to worry about it getting into the sealed casing (like under the screen, heart rate monitor, etc.), you do have to worry about stuff getting into the crown, speaker/mic openings, etc.

So I would get a case that seals off at least the crown. That thing can be sensitive to things getting in there

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Over a century and billions of wrist watches later and suddenly they need a case. :D:D

The Crown is sealed with an O-ring. Dust is unlikely to penetrate the O-ring and even if it does it will not be of any concern.

19. JayLenochiniMac, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Dust has been getting into our iPhones since 2007. Any ill effect from that or rather, have you ever heard someone say "Oh, yeah, my iPhone croaked due to dust buildup."

I changed the glass back of my iPhone 4s to a transparent one for fun and you'd be surprised how much dust gets in over time.

20. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

It depends on what type of dust you work around. Do you work in a wood shop or a metal shop? Is the dust of a material that could scratch the screen or aluminum? Do you work in an underground mine around coal and rock dust?

A case could potentially be worse if the case is not dust proof because it could trap the dust inside the case and scratch your Watch as the case and Watch rub against each other.

I've found clothing can be pretty effective at protecting against dust. If you can wear long sleeve shirts to work, I would suggest keeping the Watch underneath the shirt sleeve when in the dusty environment and keeping the cuff relatively tight to the skin. Of course if you work around fast rotating machinery, then long sleeves may not be an option. If you cannot wear long sleeves, then you could try wearing your Apple Watch under an arm band.

I would not listen to the poster saying dust is no problem. Water resistant does not equal dust proof. And they are likely only accustomed to everyday dust, which is mostly dead skin particles.