Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
No!

But it can be unlocked, if you're a customer in good standing for 3 months, that means no late payments and you can't be on their spending limit plan.

Doro

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
England
Unlocking phones in the UK

In England it costs you £20 and takes 20 days to unlock a phone. I tried to use my iP5 with a French sim and was horrified to see that it was locked (to T mobile) and I had no idea. I tried the same Sim on my old iP4 which is now under an orange contract and same thing, locked. Same cost and time frame to have it unlocked. I had to spend hours on the phone to Orange, T mobile and Apple to find out.
The iP5S I'm getting - when they decide to make the gold models available to meet my order - should be unlocked because it will be sold by Apple itself. I shall definitely check it.
Rant over :)

hpereznoble

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
Montevideo, Uruguay
But it can be unlocked, if you're a customer in good standing for 3 months, that means no late payments and you can't be on their spending limit plan.

As far as I learned today, dis unlocks will only work for traveling and would last a short period before getting blocked again.

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
As far as I learned today, dis unlocks will only work for traveling and would last a short period before getting blocked again.

I'll confirm this as being incorrect. Once an iPhone is flagged in the system to be unlocked, it is in fact, unlocked. The system is not relocking devices after a short period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.