Is square trade worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The JTizzle, Jul 2, 2010.

1. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

I have never bought a warrantee for an iPhone since I have never broken an apple device in like 15 years, but the new all glass phone makes me a little un easy. So is it worth the 100 bucks for 2 years or should I look into another alternative? Thanks guys.

2. RC83 macrumors 6502

Ive heard good things about squaretrade... If I would do it I would do the monthly option.. I had the $5/months ins from att for my past phones.. Well, att does not carry that over for the iphone.. So I'd put that towards the $5.99/month for squaretrade.

Ive also heard AppleCare is good too

3. Loiterer macrumors member

Well it really depends on your risk tolerance and likelihood of damage, but generally, no, it's not worth it.

Squaretrade only covers damage and not loss or theft, so it should be compared to the cost of bringing that same damaged phone to the Apple Store for a replacement ($199).

With Squaretrade, you'll pay $99 whether you file a claim or not, and if you do need to file, there's a $50 deductible for a total $149 replacement cost. Obviously that's better than $199, but that also means that you're paying a certain $99 for the chance of saving $50, and that's a terrible tradeoff unless you are 1) reasonably certain you will need to file a claim and 2) reasonably certain it will be relatively early in the contract before the value of a replacement phone on eBay matches or drops below your out-of-pocket cost.

4. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I think all the warranties are garbage unless you get one that covers loss / theft. Otherwise go Applecare and in the event that you are unfortunate enough to crack your glass or really pooch your phone, get Apple Out of Warranty for $199. Walk in, replace phone, give the bills, walk out. Easy. And you only spent the money if you had to, not in case.

5. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

so Apple offers a $199 replacement if it gets knocked off a table say and shatters?

6. shinenjk macrumors regular

I don't think it's worth it.

Use your credit card's extended warranty program instead. I buy all electronic equipments with my AMEX card because they extend the warranty 1 yr for free.

So I get 1 yr of Apple's warranty + 1 yr AMEX warranty. :D

7. notmymac macrumors member

That would be considered accidental damage (provided the phone was still in mostly one piece) and would be covered as an out of warranty repair for $199. Same goes for liquid damage. The only time the $199 does not apply is when the phone has been deemed beyond economical repair...

8. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

No way IMO..

Check out http://www.safeware.com/

Price is more expensive (1 year vs 2) but they cover theft, liquid, fire.. etc.

SquareTrade does not cover theft or full submersion.

Its a $50 deductible and they DO NOT REPAIR, they just send you a new one.

9. coelacanth macrumors 6502

I'm not against any of them, and I have safeware policies for iPad and mbp, but you might want to note that for iPhone 4, the max payout is $400 for 16gb, $500 for 32gb so expect to pay extra to replace if you aren't qualified for upgrade pricing at the time of loss.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's better purchase your iPhone with an Amex card to get 90 days of accidental damage/theft coverage and self-insure with $199 in the bank for the other 9 months until the next iPhone comes out.

You get to keep your $199 if you never shatter it.