Is SquareTrade Worth it for iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Jun 25, 2010.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Has anyone filed a claim with them? How long does it take to get a new phone if you need it replaced? Are you able to pay monthly instead of a lump sum up front? Do you guys recommend it? Thanks.

2. nospinguy macrumors newbie

All insurance is a ripoff until you need/use it.

$80 for 2 years or $5.99 a month at ST? I did it, and I think I couldn't afford not to. Everyone that I've seen on here who has used them had good things to say.

3. applephysci macrumors regular

Below are some pros and cons to know/consider before going with SquareTrade:

a) If you get a crack on the back your iPhone that does NOT affect the functionality of your iPhone, SquareTrade will simply send it back stating that it is fully functional.
    b) If you get a crack that evidently affects the functionality of the iPhone, they will fix the iPhone for you, but they will not replace your cracked housing. I had to go through several arguments with them to address this, resulting in weeks of an unavailable iPhone for you to use (while you continue to pay big bucks to AT&T).
    c) If your lcd screen or digitizer gets cracked to the point of loss of functionality, they will replace it. A hairline crack here and there is not a reason for replacement.
    d) They will try their maximum best to fix an iPhone before they deem it unfixable. They have plenty of refurbed iPhones available that they may use as parts or whole to fix/replace. For those hoping for an upgrade and choosing to simply dip their iPhone in water before sending it out to them, be warned that they are prone to more likely compiling a replacement unit out of functional parts from your iPhone and other available parts from their inventory.

There are only minimal cases where they actually have to issue a check out. This happens primarily from scenarios where they do not have sufficient stock/inventory of your specific iPhone unit/parts.

That being said, they are prompt in fixing your damaged iPhone. That is what you should be basing your warranty on.

4. calvy macrumors 65816

You just talked me out of it. The fact that I'm not covered for loss or theft and the fact that they apparently are not going to fix things for me if all I've got is a minor crack from a drop.

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

You can always buy it now and cancel and get all or most of your money back depending on when you cancel.

6. sd13 macrumors regular

order summary
    Item:
    iphone 4 32gb
    Coverage Limit: $599.00 warranty summary
    2 year Care Plan + ADH $123.75
    35% Off iPhone Launch Special! -$43.31
    Estimated Tax: $0.00

Total $80.44

This deal sounds great except for one thing most people overlooked. Coverage limit is $599. The 32gb iphone4 is worth $699. This means that if something happens you gotta pay $50 deductible PLUS the $100 difference plus the entrire tax on the $699. No thanks, ill pass. Is there any other insurance options out there that arent a ripoff? I used to have state farm but they arent insuring iphones anymore.

7. applephysci macrumors regular

If you paid $80.00 and decided to cancel 12 months later and wanted a refund, you would have lost $40.00. Refunds are also only issued if you have not submitted a prior claim.

8. wishman35 macrumors regular

It seems like a decent enough deal, but you are still paying close $150 to repair the phone after the deductible. It is only $200 if you are out of warranty on an iPhone and you get a replacement right away.

It is probably best for those around water quite often.

9. phas3 macrumors 65816

any other insurance companies? I want to be able to cover my phone from drops and thefts

10. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

I purchased the monthly plan because I know I'll probably use up the warranty way before it turns 1-year (I'm clumsy) so I anticipate probably not finishing the whole 2-year coverage, so why pay for it all? I hope that made sense...cuz it did to me!

11. Bloake macrumors 6502

Bloake

I know MobileAssurance will cover theft but their payment plans are steep. Also ask your home insurance agent because people say that they also cover theft.

12. tech19181 macrumors newbie

tech19181

Their Response to This Thread

Hey Everyone:
    I send a support request asking their response about not covering accidental damage, and here is what they said:

Hope it clears everything up!

13. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

I'm debating it myself. I know the insurance will give me some peace of mind and I'm torn between squaretrade and Worthave. The latter covers theft as well.