Is standby a bad thing for MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrgiapanta, Oct 20, 2010.

1. mrgiapanta macrumors regular

So today Apple announced MacBook Air boasting 30days of standby and instant on.

i was thinking hey, I can do that with my MacBook Pro 13' (April 2010 model)
    by not shutting down. Let it sleep, "instant on" when I wake the computer up.

Then someone told me having MacBook Pro on standby for long period of time is not good for the computer....

is this true?
    I rarely shut down my computer. Only time I do is once a month or once in a two month to clean my Monitor.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. It's perfectly fine. Most bad information and advice seems to always come from "someone". Believe facts. Don't believe "someone." :D

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I've been using sleep the majority of the time vs. shut down since I got my mbp in 07 and everything is fine.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not true i've been on for 26 days with zero adverse effects.

5. nwbusa macrumors regular

I think most users just close the lid on their MPBs or let them go to sleep as opposed to actually powering them off. A MBP left in sleep mode (unplugged) won't last 30 days, though. I think the battery drains something like 1% per hour when in sleep, but I'm not certain on that.

6. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I'm the same with the guys above. I close the the lid when i'm done using it and wake it up the next day. No issues