Is Static Still Dangerous for rMBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhyzome, Jan 21, 2016.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

I recently (accidentally) statically shocked the bottom-right part of my rMBP and my screen displayed a sort of "digitized", pixilated and distorted haywire-like scrambling of the image (which would have been normal finder desktop). The image was really unrecognizable. This resolved quickly with a restart and since things have been operating normally I haven't bothered with any followup investigations.

But I did become curious, remembering the days when we were taught that a small static shock in the wrong place could be fatal to your laptop and its data:

Does static electricity still pose a danger to rMBPs (and other Apple electronics)? Or has Apple re-engineered their products to be more or less immune from its effects?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Electrostatic discharge can damage the components inside your computer/phone/whatever, but if the components are protected(still inside the computer/phone/whatever) they're fine.

Apple hasn't made a retina MacBook Pro, or regular MacBook Pro or PowerBook or iBook that doesn't protect the components from ESD.