Is stepping up to i5 worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jw3571, Dec 6, 2010.

1. jw3571 macrumors regular

I'm debating between the base 13 mbpro and the 15 i5. Is the i5 a much better processor? I'll mostly be using ms office, editing photos in iPhoto, light gaming, etc. Opinions?

2. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Do you need it now? For your uses I think the 13 inch would suffice, but the 15 inch would do it all much better. New models are supposed to be coming out early next year so, your choice.

3. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I always like to have the newest technology, which may or may not be a good thing lol. In any case, I would suggest going with the base i5. It will stay relevant for longer. And besides, the base i5, is faster than ANY previous macbook pro. Its a well worth it upgrade in my opinion.

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

For me, mobility would be the first criteria in determining a change. If the smaller footprint is what you need then the 13" is a clear choice.

If OTH you're desk bound with the occasional outing... by all means go for the extra power.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You should probably just go for the i5. C2D works and there's nothing wrong with it, but the tech is getting a little old.

6. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

the core 2 duo is a basic dual core processor, and the i5 has hyper threading (divides the 2 cores more evenly for multi tasking) and turbo boost (safely over clocks the processor by shutting down the second for the get through bulky tasks)

7. jw3571 thread starter macrumors regular

I figured the i5 would be a little more future proof. I don't need it now but I'd really like it now. It could be 5 months before a refresh

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless you have specific applications that will be more demanding, then the idea of future proofing is a false idea.

I'm running Aperture on my C2D MBP, and its performance is decent. It will still be decent 6 months from now, even after apple updates its computer line.

The bottom line is if you have a need now, buy the machine that best fills that need. If you can wait, then do so.

9. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

don't get the i5 just yet, wait a few months till the refresh THEN get the i5 :D