Is still there any compatibility issue with MBPr 15" and Windows 8 on Boot Camp ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by V4705, Apr 13, 2013.

1. V4705, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

V4705 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    With the current Boot Camp drivers all firmware updates, are there any issues (Retina display\Battery\Touch Pad or anything like that) with MBPr 15" and Windows 8 on Boot Camp ?

I read lots of disturbing issues in older threads, but I can't find useful information about Apple's fixed effective and what's the situation today.

Many thanks! :)

2. mm201 macrumors regular

To the best of my knowledge, everything "works" except the integrated GPU. This means battery life isn't as good as on OSX. Touch gestures aren't as awesome out-of-the-box as on OSX, but there's a 3rd-party driver to help.

Retina support in third-party apps is spotty but steadily improving. External displays are kind of silly right now because Windows doesn't support different DPI scales on them in the way OSX does.

3. V4705 thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the best drivers right now for the Touchpad and the Display for Win 8 ?
    Is there any fix for the external display issue?

Thanks!

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I personally just use the stock Touchpad drivers but there is Trackpad++.

No, there isn't because it's a Windows issue itself. Until Microsoft fixes it with a patch or rewrite the OS to support it, it won't be fixed.

I use 1680x1050 in Windows 8 on my 13" retina MBP and it looks fine unless I look closely. It is a little bit blurry but not unusable and I don't need to change the DPI at all.

5. mm201 macrumors regular

The best option for external monitors is to set the DPI scale to 150%, set your rMBP resolution to 1920x1200 (15") or 1680x1050 (13") and move the external monitor further away. >__<

Someone needs to nag Microsoft really badly for per-monitor DPI support in the next Windows version.

6. Mackan macrumors 65816

Not to be a downer, but be prepared that there's usually 1-2 things that will be problematic and cause annoyance (mild or severe) if you use Windows on a Mac...

7. V4705 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies, TrackPad++ is definitely a huge enhancement compare to Boot Camp's trackpad driver for Windows 8.

I only have 2 issues right now.
    1. Even with TrackPad++, I still don't have "pinch to zoom" gesture.
    2a. MagicMouse acting really weird compare to on OSX, is Boot Camp install a driver for it, or do I need to manually extract and install this driver from Boot Camp's file ?
    2b. Do you recommend using any 3rd-party driver for Magic Mouse on Windows 8 ?

Thanks again, you did helped me a lot, and right now I'm pretty happy with how Windows 8 running on this MBPr15.

BTW, 150% was the default DPI setting, and it looks great for me with the internal display (didn't check external display yet).