Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

UBS28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
With iOS 13, I still need to press my finger on the display and then swipe up to unlock my iPhone X after I unlocked it with Face ID. Is this fixed with the iPhone 11 Pro Max?

Because I really don‘t see the point of FaceID on my current iPhone X, Apple might as well went for an in screen finger print sensor if I have to use my finger to unlock my iPhone with Face ID.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
With iOS 13, I still need to press my finger on the display and then swipe up to unlock my iPhone X after I unlocked it with Face ID. Is this fixed with the iPhone 11 Pro Max?

Because I really don‘t see the point of FaceID on my current iPhone X, Apple might as well went for an in screen finger print sensor if I have to use my finger to unlock my iPhone with Face ID.

Yes you still need to swipe up. What’s the advantage of the finger print reader you seem to want?
for me Face ID is much better than any finger print reader I’ve ever used.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
For me current logic is a better one. I often activate the screen to look at notifications and it would actually be annoying if the phone would jump to homescreen each time.

I would like to interact with the phone - I will need fingers in the screen.
I would just like to check the screen - no fingers needed.

Seems like the best solution.

For everyone I know FaceID is far superior to fingerprints. Safety, ease of use...

I would say a lot of thinking went into this and your scenario was also a possibility but in the end scraped because it would annoy people.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
For me current logic is a better one. I often activate the screen to look at notifications and it would actually be annoying if the phone would jump to homescreen each time.

For everyone I know FaceID is far superior to fingerprints. Safety, ease of use...

I would say a lot of thinking went into this and your scenario was also a possibility but in the end scraped because it would annoy people.

I totally agree I play a lot of podcasts to Bluetooth speakers etc And if I want to skip back 30 seconds it’s so easy in the current situation.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019

Swipe to unlock gesture enables you to quickly glance at your notifications without having to swipe down for the Notification Center later.

Remember when they sped up the Touch ID so fast in iPhone 6s that you never got to see the Notification Center? Customers wanted Apple to slowdown the Touch ID. Now that they listened and implemented the same, you’re complaining about not having it the other way around just cuz Google implemented some parlor tricks in the Pixel 4 with Soli.

Mr.Blacky

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2016
Austria
I mean, changes are, if you unlock your iPhone you may want to use it. So you would need to "press" your finger on the display anyway.?

sunapple

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I don’t think the current super quick swipe to unlock from anywhere on the bottom is anything like having to press a specific point on the screen for fingerprint reading. Quick and easy enough for me.

On Pixel 4, it does have the instant unlock setting and it’s on by default. Could be annoying to some though, which is when the challenge of finding the right settings starts... https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/25/pixel-4-lock-screen-notifications/

TrueBlou

Contributor
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

I’m with you on this one, back when FaceID first came out, my initial reaction was to wonder why it didn’t just go to the home screen. But it became very clear, very quickly that it works best as is. Otherwise I’d have to keep swiping down the notifications and so on after unlocking.

tarsins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
It's faster and better. But you still have to swipe to actually unlock which is much better than having a brief flash of the notifications before the phone unlocks and then having to swipe downthe notification centre to see what those notifications were then dismissing the notification centre. Just think how less tired your finger will be.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Turn on Rise to Wake. You'll still have to swipe up but you won't have to tap the display.
[automerge]1572792261[/automerge]
Swipe to unlock gesture enables you to quickly glance at your notifications without having to swipe down for the Notification Center later.

Remember when they sped up the Touch ID so fast in iPhone 6s that you never got to see the Notification Center? Customers wanted Apple to slowdown the Touch ID. Now that they listened and implemented the same, you’re complaining about not having it the other way around just cuz Google implemented some parlor tricks in the Pixel 4 with Soli.

Oh yes. I was one of those people. In the end, though, I came to realize that TOuchID on the 6S and later was a huge improvement. It took me most of a year to reach that conclusion with FaceID, but I did, and it's noticeably better on the 11 Pro iPhones because they're less picky about the angle at which the FaceID camera scans your face.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I didn’t like Apples finger print sensor on the front so I like Face ID better I still like a good fingerprint sensor

Vacheron

macrumors demi-god
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I agree but for people that just want it all they should put toggles for options. Again, I like it just the way it is
It's still a bad implementation and Apple shouldn't do it. It would literally require disabling notifications which Apple should not do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.