is summer a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, Jun 6, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

this is more of a us culture question than a climate question, but it seems like the past few years, summer has become shut down time when nothing happens. nothing happens here, it's just pretty much closed and getting ready for the fall now. less people take vacations in the summer now and i used to love summer, now i hate it.

i think part of it is that in south florida, summer is the worst of the four seasons and everything closes around here. i hate sumer here, and i used to love summer before coming here. i just want to get your guys thoughts if summer is still relevant in cultural terms or not.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I think so. I work at a toy store and we sell SUMMER HOMEWORK books. Grossssss.

And the kids aren't allowed to just REST anymore. They're all going to camp, to summer school, etc.

Luckily I'm not in that generation, so I'm enjoying my summer to the max. I work all day, I play all night, it's fantastic.

All the shops in Houston are still open. They usually thrive during the summer. Everyone's out of school and ready to spend money, haha.

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I love summer, the long evenings make it so nice to spend time outside.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I might be way off, but I was taught that the very implementation of summer was due to families needing the extra hands of children to aid around the farm, what with crops and stuffs since a lot of households were agriculturally based?

:eek: At least that's what I was taught growing up.

If that was the case, it only makes sense that as fewer and fewer folks are involved with agriculture, the importance of summer "vacation" is dwindling. Especially in light of how "quickly" everything moves.

That said, I love summer. I do. I love the extra long hours of light. I love the hint of warmth earlier in the morning-- the seductive promise of a warm day.

I love seeing my cats stretch out on the floor in their pools of sunshine.

I love driving with the windows down and feeling the wind.

I love listening to my summery tunes.

I love wearing summery clothes (er, assuming they fit ;)).

I love summer. :D

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's because every day is like summer in florida. (well by comparison with many other places) A lot of times people just look forward to warmth and sun and tanned skin and drinks with little umbrellas. :p

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

All the old people leave Floriduh and come back to RI.

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Sum....mer...summer? I haven't enjoyed a good summer since college :(

8. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i mean back in the 90's, kids still looked forward to summer vacation, now, it's more like they are in school and stuff all year long now that summer vacation is in danger of disappearing, and summer will be boring season now. lots of work, but less fun than the other seasons.

9. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Funny - I always thought there were 4 seasons and summer was one of them ;)

I think the farming thing has some creedence on how schools plan their terms, but the actual season of Summer...I say no:p

Summer is still relvant in my opinion based on where you are in life - as a child - summer is time off from school - unless your parents put you in all these activities all summer long - could be good or bad. As an adult without children summer is more or less irrelevant as you can go where you want when you want. As an adult with children - Summer is once again relevant as that is when you can plan vacation as schools tend to frown upon giving students time off during the school year for vacation. That is my .02...:cool:

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

My Summer starts Memorial weekend and ends sometime in September.:) My favorite time of year, aside from xmas.

I would say if anything Spring has become a thing if the past, Its usually cold until the end of April.

11. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

thinking about some things, it's like most cd's come out in the fall (please correct me if this is untrue) and almost nothing really happens in the summer in terms of events. after may 1st-ish, not much happens until the fall.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I disagree, all the big movies come out in the summer, a lot of bands have huge summer tours and release albums in the summer. A lot of summer festivals, at least in the northeast.

Most of my outdoor activities don't start until the end of May.

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Most be a Florida thing. Up here in the Northwest, the sun starts to shine and we get into the oh so warm temperature of the 70s and 80s. Everything happens in the summer. Great concerts, great times hanging out with friends (you can do things outside now), some good movies and great weather. Summer isnt dead, nor do I ever think it will be.

14. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

yeah, it's not summer. it you and the location. you are getting old, and florida sucks. more or less.

sorry. me too. except the florida part, i left years ago. :p

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

16. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm 21, and i think in florida, everything shuts down, no festivals, concerts or anything. i think there's only one movie theater within a 15 minute drive here, and most young people have left. i tend to see the summer as very boring now and just wait for the fall, when the big florida stuff starts up again.

i need to get out of florida now.

17. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Considering that my county gets out of school the 20th of June, and goes back in the beginning of september, giving us a solid 2 months and a couple weeks of summer, I would say that summer is gone.
    My parents tell me how summer vacation used to be 3 months.

18. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Yeah? Well back in my day summer was 11 months. But it snowed. And we liked it that way.

Seriously summer is whatever you make of it. If you want to spend that time in school, so be it. If you want to spend that time on the beach, or on a road trip, so be it.

Unless you're young enough that your parents are still having a significant say in your activities summer exists however you want it to -- if you feel summer has disappeared its because your tastes / habits have changed.

I'm another one from the Northwest -- summer is just starting. It means shorts, barbequed hamburgers, sunsets eating fish and chips at the beach, and my son constantly saying "Can we go see <X> blockbuster movie? All my friends have seen it... come on, just because it rates a negative on the tomatometer doesn't mean it has to be bad"

It also means the end of the sun setting at 4:00, the end of constant dull rain, the start of mowing the lawn and fighting dandelions, and beautiful bike rides to work.

I can't wait...

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Welcome to New England :p

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I still have summer classes and I'm working full time....summer blows.

Oh well, soon I'll be a teacher myself, then I can put my feet up for a few months every summer while the gf works mwa hahahahahahahahahha!

21. roman david macrumors newbie

I've got two months of summer holiday after my exams; if I don't get a job/go to at least a few decent gigs and festivals it's going to be a loooong summer, especially considering how I've got to spend most of it wondering if I've got into university.

In the UK, it seems like winter's disappearing. All the music festivals gives me a summery mood, as well as the regular bouts of sunburn...

22. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Summer is too hot. Winter is too cold. I'm never satisfied. :)

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya no kidding, When I was younger I remember the flowers and trees would bloom early April, now its not until the last week of April.

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

perhaps it is your location, the pace of things certainly speeds up here in Chicago. more and more stuff going on come May/June.

but summer has little meaning to me. stupid job. :p