Is SuperDrive No Longer Compatible w/ new Mac Computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HappyDude20, Dec 7, 2018.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

wondering if the apple SuperDrive has reached the end of the line and if it perhaps has stopped working with newer MacOS machines. Is this true?

Or am I totally wrong and SuperDrive works with all MacOS computers so long as dongles are involved?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can still use the Mac Pro's internal DVD drive with the latest OS, so I can't think of any reason why an external drive wouldn't work on other machines.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The SuperDrive is notorious for working with some Macs, but not with others. This appears to be by Apple's own design.

You didn't tell us if you currently own one or not?

These days, for DVD/CV/Bluray -- it's best to buy a 3rd-party drive instead of Apple's.
    I recommend one that has a tray, and NOT "a slot".

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have one and it works fine with my 2018 MBP with an Aukey USB-C adaptor.

5. IdentityCrisis Suspended

I use a LG Blu-Ray drive with an SATA too USB 3.0 connector. Works great. I am going to order the OWC chassis soon for it to clean it up.

6. smbu2000 macrumors regular

I’ve used the superdrive I’ve had for many years now and it works fine on newer Macs. With a usb-c adapter I used it on a 2017 15” MBP when plugged in directly via the adapter. When I tried with the usb-c to 3port usb-a and ethernet adapter I had it wasn’t detected. When using the single usb-c to usb-s adapter it worked fine though. Not sure if it was some compatibility issue with that other adapter or something.
    I was just using it the other day on my recently purchased 2018 Mac Mini (no adapter necessary) and it worked just fine.

7. Osamede macrumors 6502a

I experienced the same on the 2017 15” MBP.

8. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

If I purchased an external BluRay player, with macos give me any issues when popping a disc in there to play a movie? I’m guessing it wouldn’t open within QuickTime right?

9. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Check and see in /Applications if you have an alias to an app called "DVD Player"

Otherwise, look here for : /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/DVD Player.app

10. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

I do indeed have the DVD player app. But will it play blu rays at the quality it’s meant to be played? Or upscaled and maybe be best through something such as VLC?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you talking about a commercially released movie on Blu-Ray? I don't think Macs come with the software needed to do that and you will need to buy a third party app to play copy protected Blu-Ray movies. Here is an article with some suggestions.

https://www.imore.com/how-watch-blu-ray-discs-your-mac

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a-blu-ray-player-and-software-for-2017-imac-27.2060170/

Here is a 2017 thread with some suggestions also.

12. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

The Apple SuperDrive cannot read blurays, only CDs and DVDs.

So you would need to buy an external bluray player and bluray player software - I recommend https://www.macblurayplayer.com

13. biopig macrumors regular

I bought an Anker USB-C + USB-A dual port charger. It comes with a USB-C to USB-A adapter to allow using two USB-A ports, or one USB-C plus one USB-A port, simultaneously. Ok, the point is, the adapter enables my Superdrive on my new Thunderbolt MBP 13. The Superdrive doesn't work when connected to a hub(I connected the SD to BlackMagic eGPU), but works when connected "directly" (thru the USB-C to USB-A adapter) to MBP.