Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
hey ppl,
I'm pondering if I should get the registered version of superduper. Are the extra features really worth it, ie. sandbox, smart update, schedule? can someone share their experience with sandbox and the rest of the extra features?

i've not used any backup softwares ever...so this will kinda be my first.

Since '76

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
I use the free SuperDuper software once a month for the last year or so, works great and have never had an problem.

Takes a bit of time, but always completes a 80GB HD overnight to an external FW drive.

Will pay for the full version after I buy an Intel Mac, think it's a great app, worth the price for the piece of mind.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
hey ppl,
I'm pondering if I should get the registered version of superduper. Are the extra features really worth it, ie. sandbox, smart update, schedule? can someone share their experience with sandbox and the rest of the extra features?

i've not used any backup softwares ever...so this will kinda be my first.

Smart updates and custom updates are really worth it. Smart Update takes a fraction of the time and has worked flawlessly for me in the year I've been using it. It's an excellent program all things said.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Will pay for the full version after I buy an Intel Mac, think it's a great app, worth the price for the piece of mind.

Time machine is coming in October (apparently) so I don't see the point of paying, especially as it may be months until you get your mac :)

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
ibackup rules.
It does EXACTLY what I want it to (make a comparison backup without rewriting the entire 90+ GB I back up) and it's free. They accept donations though. :)

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
All I can say is "Yes!". Smart Updates makes your follow-up backups a breeze after the initial one. Time-Machine will not be out until the fall/winter and then as usual I will not jump at it and 10.5 until a few months later. For the price and security then "Superduper" is an excellent utility!

Bill........:apple:

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
A few points:

1) Do we know that Time Machine will be a full replacement for SuperDuper in the first place? I always thought Time Machine was more like a versioning repository for those moments when we say "Doh! I wish I had the old version of that document from a week ago that I deleted." The point of SuperDuper, on the other hand, is to provide an external *bootable* backup that you can use when the main disk breaks. I don't recall if Time Machine will give us a backup we can boot off of.

2) The Smart Update feature is worth the money! When my internal drive first crashed, Disk Utility was able to temporarily fix it, to the point where I could boot up again and Smart Update my entire system in 8 minutes. Later that day, the internal disk completely failed. I doubt the internal drive would have been able to survive 2 hours of read-head-thrashing in order to do a complete erase-and-clone. Such an experience may very well be rare, but at least for me, the registration money was well spent. :D

shiunn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
I think i'm going to give iBackup a try, just because it's free and because you can schedule with it. I'd love to use Superduper and its Sandbox functionality though.
Like i've said, i've never used a backup software before, and the options in iBackup all sound very frightening. I hope "ditto for 1 and rsync for backup 2..n" is the correct choice here.
I had a read at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/292468/ and got a bit freaked out. And i've just unticked the "delete any other files on the target location that aren't on the source folder". Is this what you guys do too? Does it affect how iBackup will update ur backup on subsequent updates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.