Is Swift Enough For A Beginner iOS/macOS Dev Role?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by OS X Dude, Jun 3, 2018.

1. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Basically what the title says. I took a course last year on the fundamentals of programming, covering data structures (which apparently many newbies don't learn despite it clearly being crucial) and the general 'what things are and do and why' stuff that was language-agnostic (they used JavaScript for the examples as it was easy). I made lots of notes and found it supremely useful. I've dabbled in Python, SQL and Swift and found I could hit the ground running a lot quicker with the knowledge the course gave me. Kind of like how I learned music theory fully and now find starting new instruments a lot easier.

My question is, would Swift alone be enough for a beginner  coding role, alongside knowledge of the wider areas of programming with a genuine eagerness to learn other languages/keep up with different dev environments? I know Swift is a fairly immature language and that some libraries and frameworks remain Obj-C exclusive at present but I 'started' my programming interest about 10 years ago with Obj-C 2.0 and I gave up. Hindsight and research has shown me it was never an ideal place to start :p. If anyone works/has worked in a junior-level iOS role, I'd appreciate any anecdotes you can give on what it was like working in that capacity on a day-to-day basis too.

My other idea was web development, which I do intend to keep learning alongside Swift. I think with web and desktop/iOS, you'd be very well covered these days. Plus you can incorporate websites through MCV apps with that knowledge so it all contributes.

Thanks in advance!

2. Red Menace macrumors 6502

Red Menace

Are you talking about it as a language that is easier to learn? Swift is fairly mature and is suitable for developing large/complex applications, but I suppose it would depend on your preferences. The Objective-C runtime is not going away anytime soon, so it will remain helpful to at least be able to read that as well.

3. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

More as in, would knowing just Swift be enough to get a junior/entry-level iOS/macOS job?

4. Senor Cuete macrumors 6502

You need to be familiar with Cocoa, Apple's framework for application development as well.