Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
I was pretty entrenched in windows as well, both as a musician and a software engineer. I've worked for Microsoft.

Generally when I build machines I throw about $500 at an existing machine or buy a new one for $1000 and end up with a 'current machine'. So the thought of dropping 3-4 times that on one machine that I wasn't even familiar with was pretty daunting.

Mess around with a hackintosh if you need to 'test drive' OSX. That's what got me hooked. They are kind of a pain to get rolling but they're okay as long as you don't update or breath on it too hard.

Now I do all my music in OSX, the BSD subsystem is enough for my emacs/nethack/console fetish, and when I really need to play a video game, I boot to XP...

and oh, the chicks dig it. seriously. before it was like 'OMFG what is that pile of junk *points at frankenstein PC with wires hanging out*' now it's all 'oh is that mac *takes off pants*'

be aware though that the glowing apple logo on the back is powered by your soul.

cheers

ZballZ

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2006
Well; I was exactly like you about 2 years ago! I didn't switch until bootcamp was out; so I at least had the opportunity to switch back and forth a bit. And now --- I might have used about once a month...:eek:

But I miss Windows sometimes - it was kind of fun to solve all the weird problems, errors or meltdowns that haunted me now and again - this just doesnt happen on the mac :D

Pickoff

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
SoCal
The thing about a Mac is it is designed to make sense, and even if there are problems, they are usually very easy to solve, so a quick google search should give you an easy answer.

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
I was working on Unix systems in 1982 V6, V7, System III, System V ... then, UnixSwear, Linux, etc. I have dreamed of a graphical interface running on a Unix kernel, but Linux has never quite made it.

Exactly. OSX is a gorgeous GUI sitting on top of a UN*X kernel, it is what linux would kill to be. I've never been able to say that out loud in public without being beaten to death. I expressed this same thought at OSCON and I was immediately verbally attacked by over 10 people all of whose arguments were so rooted in dogma that countering them was impossible.

$129 is a very very very small price to pay compared with the nightmares I've had to put up with with gnome, kde, compiz exploding, crappy drivers, an 'open source community' full of pissy entitlement where the loudest voices are users that aren't even capable of contributing to the movement because they aren't programmers.

What amazes me is the number of unix-heads that don't even know about OS X, or haven't sat down with it. Once they do, it's over.

passingXstorm

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
If you can use an iPhone, you can you use OS X. That's how it was for me anyway.

I got my iMac last Saturday, and I feel like I've been using OS X all my life. It soo stupid easy to get used to.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I made the switch about 2 1/2 months ago and don't regret it one bit. The way OSX works is just so much better than Windows and the MBP I'm using is a much nicer notebook than the HP/Dell I might have chosen instead.

What I continue to be surprised by is how much great software there is for OSX, a lot of it is free too. A lot of free software for Windows is plain useless but this doesn't seem to be the case for Mac OS. It's great!

There are also more OSX alternatives for Windows programs than I initially thought there were and VMware + XP works great.

II AndyG33 II

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Illinois
I think you should go for it!
I'm the same way!
i am extremely knowledgeable about windows
and i am "the designated computer fixer" at my school
however,
i spent a week w/ my friend's macbook when he had just gotten a new imac
so he let me borrow the macbook
and i just fell in love
everything looks so much brighter
and if you ever think you would need to figure something out that would be difficult
it ends up being an extremely easy task....

definitely make the switch!

sapphirewombat

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
Is switching from PC to Mac as scary as I think?

I had a similar experience, working my way up from MS DOS2 in 1988 and, along the way, also becoming the designated 'computer fixer' in workplaces and for friends. I've dual-booted Linux and Windows on a PC, and Linux and Mac on a very, very old laptop. I installed cards and optical drives and managed my own hardware. I read Windows newsletters assiduously, and I swear I had the most pampered XP computer ever, and the most secure.

Nevertheless, it repeatedly crashed, and after the last crash, when I'd exhausted all the Recovery Console options I knew about (funnily enough, they're still mostly DOS commands!) and had to phone MS, they (a) thought I was a techie and (b) only had one shot left in their locker.

That crash finished me: I just wanted a computer that worked and didn't take hours to scan and maintain, or crash. I had friends who'd switched to Mac and love it. So I made the big leap a couple of months ago, and I love it too. I don't use it as much as I should, with Parallels on board and XP Pro - and this is largely because the Mac tech misled me into believing Mac recognised almost all printers. Well, it didn't recognise mine, including with the GIMP list - it's a PC printer, flat and final, and I'm not about to add to electronic waste more than I must. That's not a huge problem because I can push printing to the Parallels shared folder, and it's just a question of switching windows, seamlessly. The second problem keeping me tethered to XP is word processing: I've used a lot, yes, Pages, Open Office etc, and seen Mac's Word 2008; they just don't provide the lovely, lovely experience of Office 2007 for PC, and both switcher friends and lifelong Mac users have real problems with Word 2008 for Mac, and with trying to send-as-Word via Pages.

All that being said, I obviously don't waste painfully acquired knowledge with a stripped down version of XP, nor with other PC users in the family or amongst friends. Maybe I felt a sense of achievement solving the problems, but it also wasted hours of my time. I wanted to sit down to a computer, work, and have no problems. And this is what I've got with my iMac. I can still use favourite browsers like Firefox and Opera in Mac (Opera has the best RSS feeds setup), I can use my MS wireless keyboard and mouse with it (just have to remember Alt+C, Alt+V in one half of the computer, and return to Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V when I return with something to copy/paste in XP). The menu GUI changing for each program is a dream come true!

I now actually ENJOY sitting down to the iMac each day, instead of feeling sullen and depressed and wondering what's going to blow next. And XP runs far better on a stable platform.

Windows is for people who love to solve problems, and don't resent the time spent away from real work doing that.

If you want problem-free computing, choose a Mac!

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
Drifting dangerously off topic ...

Exactly. OSX is a gorgeous GUI sitting on top of a UN*X kernel, it is what linux would kill to be.

What amazes me is the number of unix-heads that don't even know about OS X, or haven't sat down with it. Once they do, it's over.

I have loaded various forms of "desktop" Linux (I started with yggdrasil) and until the latest release of Ubuntu, you had to enter HTTP proxy information in about 3 places to get things working behind the firewall at work: 1) in the system network configuration, 2) in the software updater, 3) in the web browser. They finally got it right with the latest release. Don't get me started on the wifi config.

It issue is really the "community" development model makes it very hard to have a consistent interface and to ensure that everything inter-operates seamlessly. The UI behavior is enforced by the GUI API, but without guidelines for proper usage, programs can still behave with widely varying behavior that causes new/in-experienced users great headaches.

azharc

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
I'm in a similar situation, my logic is that if I already know so much about Windows it wouldn't hurt to know about Macs as well (gonna be using boot camp anyways).

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
For the longest time I used to hate all Apple/Mac products 110%, I was a linux fanboy. I used to work for a printing company that was 50/50 Mac/Windows and the Mac users would totally irritate me with their irrelevant Mac love. At least I thought their love and admiration for Mac was irrelevant.

Here's where you explain how "irrelevant mac love" makes any sense. How can love be irrelevant?

At the time the Macs were running PowerPC processors and OS 9 classic as the OS which were inferrior to the Intel CPUs and Windows.

Really. I think there are many thousands who would disagree with you heartily on both points. Particularly in the "classic" Mac OS era, PowerPC processors were far from inferior. In fact, they were far more efficient.... and were far superior in many regards. The original PowerPC, especially, was leaps and bounds ahead of rival x86 CPUs; subsequent iterations only improved upon this. From the 604e (ran circles around the Pentium, and MMX didn't help at all, being both impossibly difficult to code for, and tied to the FPU- the 604e's heavy-duty FPU out-Photoshopped the Pentium Pro easily as traipsing through a garden), to the 750 (G3), to the 7400 (G4).

The G3 ran about 10-15% faster clock for clock than did the Pentium III, and of course the Willamette-based Pentium 4 was a joke (or a nightmare, depending on how you look at it). Throw in Intel's backing of RDRAM, and you're looking at a very amusing scenario; a 1.4-1.6 GHz Pentium 4 that's outgunned by a 900 MHz Pentium III, and running memory which costs about four times much as the competition- and isn't necessary, because memory bandwidth of that magnitude wasn't yet being demanded by Intel's CPUs.

When AltiVec hit, it naturally made MMX look like even more of a joke.... and it was superior even to SSE and SSE2. Granted, the rivalry between AMD and Intel meant that Apple was left far, far behind in the MHz war, but their processors, at least from a design standpoint, were still superior (with AMD also being naturally far superior to Intel's shoddy engineering).

What possible structured argument against PowerPC or for Intel's x86 could you possibly have?

As for the classic Mac OS, please. Windows is, and has always been (since Windows 3.1) a poor imitation of the Macintosh operating system. System 7 was a great OS; Windows 3.1 was a joke. Mac OS 8.1 was another leap forward.... Windows 95 was playing catch-up, and poorly. You have zero argument.

I don't care what anyone says, It's my opinion not a start of a flame war here. My opinion is that Mac OS classic is dogbarf unfit for any or all computing tasks. Systems running Mac OS classic should be destroyed on sight.

For someone not wanting to start a flame war, you have a funny way of showing it. You're on a Mac forum... many of us here have been faithfully (and very happily) using Macs for 10, 15, even 20 years, and were very fond of the Classic Mac OS... and especially the Classic Happy Mac on startup. Mac OS Classic was far ahead of its time. Windows, again, was trying to copy it... and was doing so quite poorly. My guess is you really have no idea what you're talking about. I have four or five computers at home with the Classic Mac OS; I'd be a little miffed if you went after them with a sledgehammer.

Right now I don't totally hate Mac but I don't love it totally either.

Well that's cute...

But with Mac OS X running on top of an OS that I love, unix, I don't have much to complain anymore. And now that Apple has shut up about the fact that CPU frequency isn't the most important factor for CPU performance, which it is, I'm not so peeved so more either.

Hm. I think a great many people.... who are a great deal more informed than you are, I daresay.... would disagree with you on clock frequency. Go to someplace like Ars Technica, and do some reading. Or are you suggesting you'd rather use a 3 GHz Prescott-based Pentium 4 over a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2, which would naturally run circles around it (dual core or single). Please, you're embarrassing yourself. Hasn't intel and AMD made it clear that clockspeed isn't all-important? AMD was kicking Intel's tail for years at significantly lower clocks; Intel finally caught on (or perhaps it realized consumers had), and dropped clocks down to about half what they'd been with the Pentium 4, for a much better performer (the Pentium III-based Pentium M, and then the Intel Core).

Also most of all, since they trashed the horrible PowerPC processor and went to Intel processors, which are awesome, you can run just about any operating system you want on your Macintosh. (With Boot Camp)

You're such a tool. What do you even know about the PowerPC architecture? Probably next to nothing.

It's actually funny how the times change. Mac OS X is fantastic, Windows Vista is garbage and systems running Vista should be destroyed on sight.

Right, because WindowsME was a great product. And so was Win 3.1 And Win95. Give me a break. The only halfway decent Windows product was Windows 2000, and even that had problems for the first few Service packs (WindowsXP had even more problems than Vista when it started out). It's reasonable now, on SP3.

Get a clue.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I switched the day the current MBP model came out. I had no interest in installing Vista when it was time to upgrade my PC, and so that left Linux and Mac. I'd done a good bit of research up until then making sure I would be able to use the programs I needed on a Mac. The biggies were QuickBooks, TaxCut and SlingPlayer. Those applications kept me from using Linux. I prefer running my apps with the native OS, so I wasn't interested in running a virtual windows setup for the non-Linux native apps.

The only downside is that I still need Windows for some games (but I can live with Bootcamp) and Netflix streaming movies. Hopefully the latter will get a Mac native viewer sometime soon. As for games, many of the ones I play work in Crossover Games, so I don't have to boot to Windows to play much.

The important part is to do your research. Make sure the programs you use in Windows are either available or have equivalents for a Mac.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It's scary, like anything else, because you don't know what to expect. Just ask questions and you'll figure things out for yourself pretty quick.
There will be somethings that you will still like about windows, but there will be just as many things, if not more, that you will like in OS X and the MAC as well.
And you will also be gaining an extra skill, being able to function in this computer world of ours using either platform.

-Josh-

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
I was a windows user as well, but finally made the switch when I bought my Macbook. It was completely worth it. Also, it's good to remember you can put windows on any new Mac computer.

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
Should I switch from PC to Mac?

I know, I know, Im on a whole website dedicated to Mac, so most everyone probably thinks this is a simple and dumb question, and maybe it is, but I have a little bit of background and history that makes me contemplate this question.

first off I have been an avid Windows PC user all my life. not only that, I am also a very knowledgeable and well advanced user. I have taken many high school classes and done alot of tinkering with Windows on my own time. I am a college student who, at work, is the designated computer fixer when things go wrong or someone has a question (because it is alot cheaper than calling a tech guy/ computer repair person). What I am basically getting at is that I am so deeply entrenched in Windows that I'm scared to try something new like Mac because it would make all that knowledge of Windows totally irrelevant (atleast thats what I think).

I have never messed with Mac computers, the closest thing I have to one is an iPhone, but I am so impressed with the company that I am seriously considering getting a Mac notebook as my next laptop.

Please, will other people who have made the switch to Mac just give me their opinion on the subject. was it easy/ hard to get use to? and was it worth it?

Thank you:)

I'd been a Windows/DOS/PC user since 1986 and I was so impressed with the iPod (and iTunes) my wife bought me for Christmas in 2005 that I bought a 20" G5 iMac the following month at Costco at a very good price, just to see what all the fuss was about and to see if I'd like it...I LOVED IT!

I run Windows XP on my MBP using Parallels and it's faster and more stable on there than it is on my son's 17" Dell XPS2.

If you are computer savvy at all the switch will be reasonably painless and you won't regret taking the plunge, you'll only regret not switching sooner.

Good Luck!

NEiMac

macrumors regular
I was an avid windows user up tell they released ME, they kinda lost me there, started getting into linux with a xp partion too. I used the Linux/XP combo for a long time tell they released the mac mini and I bought one. One thing to remember is while Mac os X is easy to learn, really easy it is different in allot of ways. I almost freaked that first day until I figured out I was trying to do everything the windows way and in reality it was allot easier then that. :rolleyes:

ohforfckssake!

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Singapore
The only halfway decent Windows product was Windows 2000

I loved Windows 2000. So much so that on my last ThinkPad I chose Windows 2000 instead of XP. It all went wrong for me at XP. I hated XP's cartoonish "bubble" look. Sure, I used XP all the time on other computers, but always had to hold my nose. On my own machine, I far preferred 2k's "classic" interface. So my transition between OS's was basically

Windows 2000 ---> OS X Leopard

This is a huge leap in generational terms but I'm glad I never went with the junk "in between" as it were. Makes me appreciate the advances in Leopard all the more.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
I loved Windows 2000. So much so that on my last ThinkPad I chose Windows 2000 instead of XP. It all went wrong for me at XP. I hated XP's cartoonish "bubble" look. Sure, I used XP all the time on other computers, but always had to hold my nose. On my own machine, I far preferred 2k's "classic" interface. So my transition between OS's was basically

Windows 2000 ---> OS X Leopard

This is a huge leap in generational terms but I'm glad I never went with the junk "in between" as it were. Makes me appreciate the advances in Leopard all the more.

I definitely agree. Windows 2000 wasn't a bad system... and WinXP really is ugly. Which is why I had it skinned to Mac OS X using StyleXP on my old PC laptop :D

And I still say Classic was a great OS... and looked pretty damn good, too ;)

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
$129 is a very very very small price to pay compared with the nightmares I've had to put up with with gnome, kde, compiz exploding, crappy drivers, an 'open source community' full of pissy entitlement where the loudest voices are users that aren't even capable of contributing to the movement because they aren't programmers.
Are you ****ing high? $129 is basically the upgrade price. Haven't you realized how much of a rip off their hardware is? They make their money with the hardware, the OS price is just a bonus.

You can build a PC with the specs of a Mac for half the price.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mac, but still.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
If you want to skin Windows, WindowBlinds by Stardock does a great job of skinning XP and Vista. I was using it for a while before I bought a Mac.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Are you ****ing high? $129 is basically the upgrade price. Haven't you realized how much of a rip off their hardware is? They make their money with the hardware, the OS price is just a bonus.

You can build a PC with the specs of a Mac for half the price.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mac, but still.

Actually you can't. Try building something comparable to a Mac Pro, and I'm afraid you'll find you're easily on par in price, if not over.

You can't really build laptops (I mean, you can, technically, but it wouldn't be worth it), and as for the iMacs and Minis, there's the form factor to consider.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
Actually you can't. Try building something comparable to a Mac Pro, and I'm afraid you'll find you're easily on par in price, if not over.

You can't really build laptops (I mean, you can, technically, but it wouldn't be worth it), and as for the iMacs and Minis, there's the form factor to consider.

And the most important ingredient, OS X, would be missing from the homemade system. Yes, you can build a "Hackintosh", but I suspect a good percentage of people here don't care to do that. At least I have no desire to...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.