Is T-Mobile iPhone available on Apple website factory unlocked ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kunal5988, Nov 20, 2013.

1. kunal5988 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    My friend is coming to India from US. I want to to know if the iphone 5s (T-mobile version) available on apple website for 649 $ will work with any carrier?

Is it factory unlocked ? Will it work without any activation from T-mobile ?

Please help...only then i'll ask my friend to get me one to india..

thanks

2. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Any iPhone 5s other than the sprint one will be factory unlocked if you buy at full price.

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It's unlocked internationally, but would require 40 days of T-Mobile service before they unlock it domestically in the US for use with another carrier other than T-Mobile.

Supposedly, according to an Apple Rep at the Apple Store, they should be coming out with the "Official" factory unlocked by Thanksgiving. Can your friend wait till then?

4. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Not true. I have a T-Mobile 5s I've been using on AT&T since day one. It's fully unlocked out of the box if you buy it from Apple. It's only locked if you buy it from T-Mobile.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

This is the correct answer.

6. Akack macrumors 6502a

Yes it is. Any iPhone except the sprint one if bought DIRECT from Apple at FULL price will be unlocked.

When your friend goes to buy it from the Apple store don't ask the sales guy "is this phone unlocked since I plan on using it in India." They will flat out tell you it won't since Apple does not "officially" sell unlocked 5s at this time. This will cause more confusion for you and your friend.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

My apologies. You are correct. I was referring only if the T-Mobile 5S was purchased directly from T-Mobile.

8. norjgo macrumors newbie

I bought a Verizon iPhone 5s from the Apple store for full price. I replaced the Verizon SIM with a T-Mobile SIM and have been using it on T-Mobile. The Verizon iPhone 5s is unlocked.

9. kunal5988 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the replies...i now see two kinds of iphones available

T-mobile and sim free.

Sim free is unlocked but will be available after 2 weeks. T-mobile one is currently available on some stores. But on t-mobile iphone, there is a note under it saying that it needs to be activated by either visiting apple store or t-mobile store. Will it work with some other sim even if i dont get it activated ??

10. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Yep, you can buy it sealed, open it back in india, slap an Indian sim and use right after set up no problems. Goodluck!

11. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Why make a new thread? This thread will answers your question

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1640112

12. kunal5988 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

14. Akack macrumors 6502a

Don't make this harder than it is.

Buy a tmobile, AT&T, or verizon 5s ( do not buy Sprint model) AT FULL PRICE and directly from Apple store and it will be unlocked.

The sim free unlocked one is the same as above but only exception is it will not include any SIM card and there is a few weeks wait for it to ship as of today.

15. usbcoos1452, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

usbcoos1452 macrumors newbie

Buy it from T-Mobile could be locked. I have a T-Mobile 5s I've been using on AT&T since day one. It's fully unlocked out of the box if you buy it from Apple.:apple:[​IMG]

16. kunal5988 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the replies...Got the iphone 5s (t-mobile version) from apple store. Works absolutely fine in India... :) :apple::apple::apple:

17. chaudhry747 macrumors member

Yes, if you buy T-Mobile iPhone 5S from an apple store on full price, it is UNLOCKED 100%