Is TagChimp worth reviving?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AussieConvict, Feb 22, 2017.

?

Would you use TagChimp if it came back online?

1. Yes, I'd pay for it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, if it was free.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No, I have another solution

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. No, it's not useful to me

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. AussieConvict macrumors newbie

I personally used to use TagChimp as a mechanism for labelling the chapters in my DVDs when I converted them for streaming to my Apple TV.

I've recently been in discussions with the author of TagChimp and we're trying to gauge whether there is any demand for the service to return.

If you've got another solution that you prefer, please share it in the thread.

2. rayward macrumors 68000

Subler does a great job of mining metadata and tagging media. For those of us with Apple-centric media libraries, it pulls in the iTunes ID, the clean artwork and all the other salient details. It also will pull in chapter details from ChapterDB, optimize for web and mix in other tracks as necessary.

It's free, so it's hard to see TagChimp breaking back into this space without it being also free and notably better than Subler.

3. Tech198 macrumors G4

The problem with this is i'm not sure who provides details but if it community driven, my only downside is that how do u know its correct, unless u check it manually yourself?

If your going to go to that measure anyway, u may as well save the hassle of proof-readig details or synopsis, and do it all yourself.. I just grab mine from IMDB.... No automated way (maybe with software), but copy and paste works just fine.

Submerge is another one for subtitles

4. rayward macrumors 68000

I have found Subler to be very accurate with the metadata it harvests; maybe give it a try as it's far easier than copy/paste from IMDB.

Also, Handbrake can search for - and burn in - forced subtitles during transcoding - which I find to be superior to adding them later by muxing. This method captures the original location/color/font too.