Is target display mode working on late 2013 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hiutin, Nov 5, 2013.

1. hiutin macrumors newbie

I try to connect my 2012 macbook pro retina to my new 2013 iMac, but the target display mode is not working, i am using a thunderbolt cable from apple, after i push the Command + F2 to enable target display mode, the display just turn black, but i can see that the macbook is using it in system preferences and i can adjust the resolution on the iMac too, but just nothing show on the iMac display, anyone have a 2013 iMac can test it for me, i want to make sure is not hardware problem before i try to restore my computer :eek:

2. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

The MBP has Thunderbolt, right? And not just mini display port. They're physically the same port, but the specifications are different. I think 2012 should be Thunderbolt, but just checking.

I'm curious if the new model has an issue, too, then. Also, it may be important-- what OS version are you on? I know that there was an update that messed with target display mode on my mid 2010 iMac. It just affected brightness, and didn't make it not work. But still, that could have something to do with it.

3. hiutin thread starter macrumors newbie

Both are thunderbolt, using OSX 10.9, maybe i will wait for the next osx update and see is it software relate

4. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

It could be a hardware issue, so hopefully you can know a little more before your days that you can return it are up.

You need someone on Mt. Lion and Mavericks to try it. To rule out software and hardware. I think I'm going to order today. So if mine arrives with Mt. Lion, I'll test it. I don't have a Thunderbolt cable, though. A regular mini DP cable won't work, will it?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

are you using a 27"? pretty sure only the 27" has target display mode

6. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

Yeah, good point. That's how it's been since they first introduced the feature.

7. aggri1 macrumors 6502

In Thunderbolt models, the 21" is also capable of target display mode. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

OP: You could try pram reset, that sorted out a black-screen issue on my older iMac.