Is tethering illegal poll!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hasnombpyet.., Aug 3, 2010.

?

it tethering illegal!!

Poll closed Aug 8, 2010.
  1. yes

7 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. no

103 vote(s)
    69.6%
  3. who cares

38 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. hasnombpyet.. macrumors newbie

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Not really a voting thing, right? Either it is or it isn't.

3. hasnombpyet.. thread starter macrumors newbie

well i was looking for the majority to say either yes or no

and their reasons either way

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I'll play.

I voted no...it's your data. you paid for it. you can use it how you like. the end.

of course I am sure apple/att doesn't agree with me.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This has been discussed ... ad nauseam.

Whether it is or is not seems to be trumped by people's opinions on the matter. My opinion was voiced here once and the little AT&T fan****s had a field day.

6. andy071202 macrumors member

i know a poll is an opioniated thing
    now surely this has no relevant outcome
    ofcourse it is illegal if you do it which breeches your terms and conditions of your contract

if you pay for it from your carrier then NO it is not illegal
    but if you dont subscribe to it from your carrier and do it then YES it is illegal
    (a think the notification that comes up when you got to put tethering on is clear enough((please contact your service provider to enable this option))
    READ your contract it tells you

dumb poll really no offence to the OP

7. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

on other devices you are allowed to do it so why not on the iphone

8. JReynolds macrumors 6502

Officially yes, but who cares!

I pay over $150 to that crap of a company ATT! Another $20 for tethering, not gonna happen. DATA is DATA no matter where I'm consuming it. I'm paying for unlimited and I'll view my data where I please.

Of course I use more data using my MBP but I'm paying out the Arse for it soo... fix your shiz ATT and deal with it... or catch me and I'll PAY the price :eek:

9. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

As I understand it, unless contract terms also happen to be laws, violating them is not illegal (in the sense of being a crime). Though, such violations may open one up to civil proceedings (e.g. damages). As far as I know, there are no laws in the US that say that people are not permitted to tether with their phones. So, while tethering is clearly a breach of ones contract, it is not illegal (i.e. a crime).

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Because your contract says you can't.
    It's considered an add-on service.
    Complete BS in my book, but we all agreed to it when we signed the contract.

11. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

It's not illegal, it's against the TOS for most carriers.

/endthread

12. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's pretty much all there is to say about this.

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I voted no. I pay for unlimited data and unlimited means there is no limit to it's usage bandwidth wise.

I don't think AT&T has a right to charge extra simply to charge more for that same bandwidth that I have already paid for.

It's like the car I bought and paid for by making payments. They come in and tell me that I now have to pay extra per month for driving on the road that leads to my house because I'm towing a trailer behind the car.

14. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

I really don't think there's much to discuss with respect to the question "Is tethering illegal?". A more interesting question is whether carriers' reasons for charging extra for it are good ones. And, to take it further, if their reasons are not good, then should carriers be permitted to charge extra for tethering?

15. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Ah, the varying definitions...

"Illegal"? Not in any way. You are violating no laws by enabling tethering on your phone. Period.

"In violation of a civil contract between you and your cell phone service provider"? Depends. By the wording, I'm assuming you mean "Is it a bad thing to enable tethering without using the method provided by my carrier, complete with its increased monetary cost?"

If your carrier offers tethering, and you choose to use the tethering option provided by your carrier (whether it costs extra or not,) then obviously it's okay.

If your carrier offers tethering and you choose to use an unsupported method to enable it without their permission; or if your carrier does not offer tethering, and you use any method to enable it, you are violating your contract with your carrier.

Is this "illegal"? No. Is this grounds for them to terminate your service whenever they feel like it, possibly invoking an early termination fee? Yes. Will they do it? Who knows.

If you're willing to risk your carrier terminating your service, possibly hitting you with an early termination fee for violating your contract; go right ahead.

But to phrase it as "Is tethering illegal?" is just being alarmist. Either you honestly don't know the law, and thought the FBI would come bashing your door down; or you like making mountains out of molehills to make yourself look more like a rebel. Whatever.

16. hasnombpyet.. thread starter macrumors newbie

but we all know charging extra for tethering is crap!
    i want to know if att will begin to pursue people and what ppl think there course of action would be

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Then ask THAT. Ask "Do you think AT&T will take action against people who enable tethering without their permission?" Don't ask "Is tethering illegal?"...

I don't think there has been one report of AT&T taking action against someone for tethering up until this point; even though it's been available on jailbroken phones for years. (And was available using the official iPhone OS method with a really simple hack right after iPhone OS 3 came out.)

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My NZ$22.50/month lets me use the data in any way I wish. No hacking required, and not illegal.

Remember... not everyone uses AT&T.

19. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I don't think you know what "legal" means

Legal: yes
    Violating TOS: yes

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I think it should be illegal for AT&T to charge for something without offering anything in return, isn't that the legal definition of fraud??? /s

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, you said that. But it's really not a matter of opinion: it's a matter of law. As well have a poll about whether the sky is blue.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

24. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

25. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Sadly......not always