Is tethering possible in 10.4.11/Tiger? (Yes)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Hey all, I'm with Rogers on my 3G. Tethering works fine, but only one of my computers has 10.5.7. The others, that I'd also like to use tethering with, all run 10.4.11 (one PowerPC, one Intel). I'm wondering if there is any way for them to be made to recognize the iPhone as a network connection, as Leopard does this easily, but for reasons unknown, Tiger doesn't. I know Apple's support documents officially say 10.5.7 is the only version that's supported, but if there's some workaround I'd love to hear about it.
    Cheers

After some searching, turns out tethering works just fine over Bluetooth with Tiger. You simply turn on tethering and Bluetooth on the phone, pair it with the computer, then, once paired, click on "Join iPhone name's network" and hot diggity, you're done. Very reasonable speeds too, but be wary of power drain.
    Bye bye

2. rgibbons macrumors newbie

Bluetooth tethering with 10.4.11

I am trying to accomplish this same thing, but with Iphone 4 and Tiger. I can get the two to pair, and the iphone shows tethering, but I can't get a connection to the internet through the iphone.

Anyone know what could be going wrong?

3. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

No idea. Have you had any success?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tiger wont even recognize the i4 and let it sync thru itunes so I highly doubt it will allow tethering unless offcourse you're using wifi tethering thru native hotspot.

5. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I forgot about this. That would make sense (as to why it's not working).

6. rgibbons macrumors newbie

according to apple, the only way it will work at all is via bluetooth tethering.

I still haven't found a way to get past the iphone either except using linux.