Is tethering safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marty1990, Apr 8, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I had to tether my Mac to my Android phone since we had no power in the house. I used my Mac connected via 3G for about half an hour.

Just curious how safe it is for both my Android device, and my Apple device to tether? Thinking of things being transferred etc. I have a passcode on so only I can use my phone as a hotspot.

Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

As safe as connecting to a secured home router or as safe as the sites you visit while browsing.

3. simsaladimbamba

What do you mean with "is it safe?" From a battery power point of view, from a processor intensity POV or from a malware POV?

Anyway, it is safe, since the phone just acts as a modem, and both OSs hardly talk too deeply to each other during the exchange.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    But as long as you don't install software from unknown and untrusted sources, you are safe, as malware needs administrative permissions to run successfully, which means, you need to install the malware yourself, it can't install itself (one of the reasons, why a Mac OS X virus hasn't appeared yet).
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    The above F.A.Q. includes the following topics:
    • Malware terminology - What is the difference between viruses, worms, and Trojans?
    • Antivirus apps
    • What security steps should I take?
    • What about sending files to Windows users?
    • Why am I being redirected to other sites?
    • Recent threats in the news

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Tethering is safe. I tether rom my iPhone all the time and have never had a problem. My friend doesn't even have wifi his house he tethers exclusively from his android and he has never had a problem. So in short, its pretty safe, go for it.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I imagine 3G is safer than a standard home WiFi setup tbh.

7. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

It's safe, just make sure you have a decent data plan as tethering eats data

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

LOL! You guys need to update your canned responses and misleading FAQ's. The java-based Flashback variant can indeed install itself without so much as a mouse click or password.

9. charlieegan3, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

it has the potential to be dangerous to your wallet.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Well...almost. It first requires you to visit a Java-enabled site, with permissions to allow Java to run first. It's not like your computer can be forced to open a malicious Java application unless it's already screwed.

11. kilj0y macrumors member

Unlimited vzw LTE feels like winning.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk.

12. chilly7 macrumors member

usualy on Macs u have a massege "Virus is going to be instaled on your computer" so u have a choise to click "accept" or "decline"

while on PCs Viruses first installs by them self on you system and then may ask ur permission to do so...

Correct?!:cool:

:D

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Java permissions are on by default though, unless you've taken the precaution of shutting them down, which many users haven't a clue about. Hence 600,000 infected Macs

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, Java isn't even installed by default, so unless a user has installed it themselves, they are unable to be infected. I'm personally very doubtful about the 600k number, as well, as I don't think there's any reliable way in which the firm reporting that could have obtained the information.

jW

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you have similar reservations about the supposed size of Windows-based botnets? Because they use the same methodology. Sounds like you're just believing what you want to believe... entirely human.