Is texting easier on the ip6 or 6 plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VapoChimmy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. VapoChimmy macrumors newbie

Question to those out there who have tried both.

Is texting, emailing easier on the ip6 or the 6 plus?

I'm buying one as a gift for a girl with medium sized hands if that helps any.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm sure there are plenty of people who love the larger size enough to say its great, but the + is better if you use two hands. Unless she has really long fingers, the 6 is much more stable when using one hand. Especially important when walking, on the subway, walking the dog, or anywhere the ground isn't still.

3. VapoChimmy thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking the plus might be too big to use horizontally, but the keyboard would be smaller (than the 6 used horizontally) when used vertically.

When you use the keyboard do you use it horizontally or vertically?

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Get your girl the regular 6. I have the plus and I'm still getting used to texting due to screen size (my fingers end up hitting the wrong letter due to space of the keyboard, etc).

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I did find it a bit easier to text on the 6 immediately when I switched from my 5s, but you get used to it and don't notice it after a while.

6. darngooddesign, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm 5-8 and don't have huge hands or particularly long fingers so vertically. No one texts with one hand in landscape, and not all apps where you type have a landscape mode (does FB even have landscape mode for the 6+).

Its not about how big the keyboard is, its how well can you stabilize the phone with the same hand you are using to type. I found that the taller phone made it want to tip forwards and because my hand moved around more when typing to reach those far keys the phone felt unstable to me. I frequently have something in my other hand, coffee, a glass of wine or beer, a book, a laptop, a dog leash while walking, etc. so this is important to me.

I snapped this to show how I hold the 6, its in a Tech21 case which adds a little bit of width but has already taken a fall and been fine. As you can see my fingers reach almost all the way across the back of the phone, and that position allows me to reach the Q key without moving the phone in my hand so it is stable. My index finger sits under the Apple logo on the back so it is stabilized vertically as well.

Something else to bear in mind is that with one hand I can still reach up to drag down notifications so I can delete and email or reply to a text quickly without having to use that awkward reachability hack.

Attached Files:

7. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Texting on the plus was one of the biggest unforeseen advantages I hadn't thought about before I actually had it.

It's a major benefit of the size trade off for sure.

8. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

one handed texting would be easier on the 6 compared to the 6+. But if you are going to use 2 hands most of the time than the 6+ would be the better choice.

9. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I thought texting would be harder on the larger phone (I have the 6 Plus). What I found however was for me, there was no change at all. My fingers adjusted to the additional real estate instantly and without thought.

I can, and do, text 1 handed. I have large hands however. As in I can reach around my phone and touch my thumb to my middle finger. Just barely, but I can do it all the same. That should help you put things in perspective.

10. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I find that Swype or Swift Key help with one handed typing on the 6 Plus.

My hands aren't too big though. Like if I was typing a message with my left hand, I'd be doing fine until I needed to type "P".

11. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

"Is picking your nose easier with your left or right hand?"

Depends if your right or left handed.

Also depends if your hand is big or small.

12. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

13. cababah macrumors 68000

It also depends on which nostril you choose to go to town in :rolleyes:

14. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Had both phones. 6 plus was easier to text/email using two hands than the ip6. However, since I use my iPhone mostly one handed, the ip6 is easier to text/email when using only one hand.

15. GrecoISU macrumors member

I'm not sure because as I got my iPhone 6 Plus I now have Swype. Swype makes texting easier.

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

I can't speak on the 6 Plus but since getting the 6 I've found the larger keys on the screen have made it far easier to type. I find myself typing longer messages way faster than I could type them in my iPhone 5S. With two hands of course. One handed they seem about the same.