is that an NFC antenna in the the most recent video?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gnychis, Aug 26, 2013.

1. gnychis macrumors 6502

I was watching the newest leaked video on the MacRumors News page, and I noticed something that looks very much like an NFC antenna on the iPhone 5S:

[​IMG]

Is that an NFC antenna? It looks like one to me. Note that it is not on the iPhone 5C. I don't have an iPhone 5, but teardown images don't seem to show this same structure to the back of an iPhone 5.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Looks like a tooling pattern done when cutting the aluminum, seen it on privious iPhone models.

3. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Why use NFC when Apple has Bluetooth LE and all the new APIs in iOS 7?

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Oh boy, how exciting! Now people won't even need to grab my physical wallet to get my CC info. Bright days ahead indeed.

5. gnychis thread starter macrumors 6502

Not a single contactless payment reader supports BTLE, and the insecurity of NFC is a misconception.

Thanks for pointing out that it is likely the metal cutout

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

and iPad models.

Anything Apple makes that's been hogged out of aluminum has this marking inside.

7. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

This photo below is on the inside case iphone 5

Attached Files:

8. auero macrumors 65816

If you're really that paranoid then you should know most of your cards probably already have RFID chips inside of them. Both technologies are very similar in terms of security.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Probably why I purchased both my wallet and passport book specifically to block RFID signals.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I dunno why this is so difficult (NFC) transactions (actually I know, red tapes, politics, paranoia).

Many Asian countries I've been to, widespread use of NFC, swipe and you are done. No more waiting for [shields up!] Grandma and your Aunt to fish her tinny coin pouch from all the stuff in their purses while the rest of us (men) on back are tapping our feet! ;)

11. absurdamerica macrumors regular

Then take the equivalent approach to any NFC enabled personal electronics you have and don't use them?

Your credit card number is sitting in a myriad of online databases, some with questionable security. Chances are if your data gets stolen it won't be by some geek walking past you on the street.

12. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Like others have stated, that is just the milling pattern from the CNC machine that carved the phone from a block of aluminum. No antenna there.