Is that every wireless router will hang oftenly?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hidehide, Jun 2, 2007.

1. hidehide macrumors 6502

I used the Linksys WRT54GS, sometimes it hangs a few times in a week. Sometimes, a few times within a few hours..

I just tried the Netgear Rangemax next wireless-n router. The same happens..
    Is that all modern router will hang oftenly??

The hang I mean is the internet connection dropped, I cant even reach the router's webpage..

Or it is because these router has limit on connectoins? And downloading torrents causes this problem?

Please help.. I hate reconnecting the power cord every hour..(rebooting the router)

2. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

???
    what does the power cord have to do with wifi?

The linksys hung on me, but my belkin works quite well.

It may be your router placement.

3. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

Edited the post. Reconnecting the power cord = reboot the router..

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Torrents and file sharing apps mess with wireless networks.

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yes, I have to unplug and replug my WRT54G all the time. In fact, I've gone through three of them now. It seems as though they all work for a while, then I have to reboot it more and more frequently until it is so inefficient to surf the web that I give up.

How many other wireless networks can you see? Try changing the channel? I've decided wireless interference (which I believe causes the router to drop the WiFi signal) is simply an unfortunate consequence of living in an urban area crowded with wireless signals.

6. hidehide thread starter macrumors 6502

I heard the WRT54G version below 5 is good.. But I dont know will they hang..

There are tons of wireless network.. about 20 or more..
    However, I dont have trouble in the connection to the wireless, I rarely get disconnected.. Its the internet connection in the router that always disconnect..

7. Angrist macrumors 6502

Thats happened with my belkin and my roommate's netgear .....
    we connected it to one of those outlets that's controlled by a light switch, no more reaching for a tiny plug.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

The routers I've had the least amount of problems requiring me getting up and having to physically reset them have been Apple Airports, although I have seen my new 802.11n Extreme reboot on its own before.

I've used the old UFO Extreme, the Express, and the new Extreme.

9. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

I posted about this before, and people ignored it. I have had linksys, netgear, and apple routers. They all work great, for a while. Then the slowly need a restart here and there. Then the restarts become increasingly frequent, to the point where its daily.

I have no explanation for it. I have had good luck (since its release) with the new Apple airport extreme. Been rock-solid since I got it. (knock on wood)

10. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Linksys sucks for macs and pc combos. I have been through 3 of them and gave up. Airport extreme and airport express that I have never have had a single problem. Love em. Worth the premium.

11. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

if you have a 2.4ghz phone, that might be the problem.. you'll get interference if the phone sometimes gets the same channel as your router.

12. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Its not just a phone that can be an interference with routers, wireless keyboards, wireless mouses, microwaves, wireless home phones and more!

13. drbrog macrumors member

I have had the same problem with my Wrt54G. My Mac Pro is connected to it by cable yet it frequently disconnects from the network, requiring a reboot of the router. I was wondering if a different router would work better. I'd get the new Airport but it isn't gigabit.

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmm, I have a three year old Netgear wireless n router (WGR614v4), with three Macs connected to it, and the last time I had to reboot it was about three months ago, and that was something to do with having moved it and the iMac to the kitchen, near the microwave (no, I wasn't thinking ahead) while we were having some work done in our home office.

15. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

I have the exact same router and my connection drops 3 times per week. I have 4 computers running off the wireless 3 are for personal use and 1 is for business

16. bartelby macrumors Core

I've been using a WRT54G for well over a year, I've not had to touch it since I set it up. Zero problems.:)

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

My netgear certainly has problems like this, it's very annoying.

@ madjew I can't see how file sharing would affect your router, it's just network traffic ;).

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got an AirPort Extreme N when they first came out, and had no end of troubles with it, but Apple replaced it. The new one hasn't crashed once since I set it up. The modem it's connected to, on the other hand... :eek:

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

21. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

That's hilarious :p

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

No problem. :) I hadn't heard of that issue either until I was I ran across that page troubleshooting something else.

23. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

I have a Netgear DG834G, to start with it would loose connection, and refuse to reconnect pretty much everyday.

Did a firmware update and it would go for a week at a time, mainly being taken down by brownouts. So i swapped the old, old style transformer PSU with a nice switch mode and it's been fine ever since, keeping the connection up for a month at a time, in fact, pretty much the only times it has gone down is when my ISP is running maintenance :cool:

It's also worth noting, I'm a fairly heavy torrent user, lots of connections, normally via WiFi, sometimes via ethernet. Rock solid :D

Thinking about it, my previous router (also netgear), wired only, would loose connection when refreshing server lists in games, a firmware update fixed that too :)

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

...And that's a surprisingly slim list. File sharing apps often ask for constant network activity, sometimes at a high volume. Wired networks seem more robust than wireless, even when using the same router.

25. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I had to do this increasingly frequent rebooting with three LinkSys and one D-Link wireless router.

I have two Apple Extreme N routers now, bought on the day of release, and I have NEVER had to reboot them...yet.