is that possible install SL and lion at same time ? (multiple boot)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sa3er, Feb 17, 2012.

1. sa3er, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

sa3er macrumors member

Hi guys. actually i working for a Forex company. for this job i need very secure computer. @my main OS (SL) i visit all kind of links , install all kind of apps etc. first i was decided to buy a new macbook air 11" just for my job and do not open any third party link/app on it. just install google chrome (+VPN) and little snitch to make it imposible get hacked and just visit forex broker website on it.
    But i don't wanna spend money if its possible do it on my own macbook (another problem is i don't like macbook air as it have no LAN port to use internet). i have snow leopard at the moment. is that possible i install Lion too ? (when i turn on macbook show me multiple boot options to enter what OS)

ps:i encrypted my hard disk with PGP on my SL

2. simsaladimbamba

You dual boot by partitioning your HDD/SSD in your MacBook, though I don't know, if that is possible with an encrypted HDD.
    Is running Lion as VM a possibility?

3. sa3er thread starter macrumors member

4. sa3er thread starter macrumors member

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Can you undo the encryption? Snow Leopard has FileVault per-user while Lion has system-wide FileVault, which make Lion safer for working.

I have Snow Leopard FileVaulted on accounts that need improved security. However, if I need to share stuff between encrypted accounts, I need to create encrypted sparsebundles that need to be mounted manually providing a password.

This scheme is an extra layer of security, eventually difficulting to malwares accessing sensitive information from the work/job account. But dual-booting would be a safer solution, at least if we suppose that malwares can't infect EFI.

6. sa3er thread starter macrumors member

hmm?

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I don't know how PGP system-wide encryption works, but I presume Lion can do the same for free with the upgraded FileVault application.

Snow Leopard's FileVault can only encrypt user accounts. You can also create encrypted volumes (in OSX jargon, they're called "encrypted sparsebundles").

If you have to encrypted accounts in 10.6 but you need sharing data between them, you can create encrypted sparsebundles for it. Or you can simply decrypt and mount the protected account as a volume, but shared sparsebundles look safer in my opinion.

I think dual booting with PGP will be trickier than using Lion and Snow Leo's default encryption... I just explained my security scheme using only Snow Leopard by creating a safe and an unsafe user account. But installing two OS instances tends to be safer than just protecting data. Once a malware can get root access to the system, it can read encrypted data after I have provided my password...

System encryption is for protecting data from hardware steal. Dual booting (safe and unsafe OS instance) is for protecting data from malwares. If EFI could be contaminated, however, the ultimate security scheme would be having two separate computers.