Is the 1.83 iMac Worth It?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danny_w, Apr 6, 2007.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I am looking at all of the alternatives to get my wife off Win98, and I thought about the iMac that uses integrated graphics as a possibility. She doesn't really need much (I expect any iMac is more than adequate) but I am just wondering if I would be sorry down the road if I bought one of these. I was thinking of a mini, but once you upgrade the memory and add a keyboard they are really approaching the price of the iMacs, which seems really silly. Yes I would need more memory, but the iMacs are really easy to upgrade and there is no question about voiding the warranty. I have a G5 iMac that she could have, but she insists on certain Windows programs (mostly games), so I need an Intel version for that reason alone. Any suggestions?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd have a look at a refurbished model of the 17" Core 2 Duo model with the X1600 and Super Drive. An update is also reasonable to expect soon.

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I have looked at this model, and it looks like a really good deal, but you can get a brand new one (same model) from Amazon for $10 less after rebate (including tax on the refurb model). That sort of makes a refurb pointless. I may get that one though (new).

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Amazon.com works out fine too. Just make sure to get dedicated graphics in your iMac. It is well worth it.

5. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I guess you're right. It does seem kind of silly to get an iMac and then cripple it with integrated graphics.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm glad you agree. Happy shopping and/or waiting for an update.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The only way this model makes sense is if you are seriously thinking of a mini. In that case you get get a whole lot more for the extra $200. Personally I would go with the 2 GHz 17" iMac. A fine machine.