is the 10.6.5 update safe or should i wait

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hoefler, Nov 15, 2010.

  1. hoefler macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2010
    #1
    hi everyone,

    i'm a first time mac user and would like to ask if you guys would recommend waiting to get my machine updated or is it safe to just go ahead and update at this time? have you guys updated or are you also waiting it out?

    reason i'm asking is because there seem to be loads of different problems people are experiencing after doing the update.

    also, how should i back up my current system just in case something goes wrong, what program is recomended, i read about Carbon Clone Copy? is there something better? or should i just use time machine?
     
  2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

    SandboxGeneral

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Detroit
    #2
    Yes it's safe. I upgraded my MBP and iMac. No problems at all. Even seems a bit faster too. :)
     
  3. scottsjack macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Arizona
    #3
    I installed the jumbo. The machine definitely feels snappier, especially Aperture 3.
     
  4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

    Apple OC

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    Location:
    Hogtown
  5. powers74 macrumors 68000

    powers74

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2008
    Location:
    At the bend in the river
    #5
    Osx

    In my experience most OSX updates are flawless. I havn't had any issues with OSX updates since 2004.
     
  6. silentnite macrumors 6502a

    silentnite

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Location:
    Outer sight.. Outer mind
    #6
    Yeah, so far 10.6.5 seems to be harmless, what I have encountered was M-audio did not have a driver ready for my midi controller. otherwise I've seen no problems.
     
  7. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #7
    Well Apple released a new update for 10.6.5 for OS X Server, so hopefully that fixes the issues that the old update caused.
     
  8. cutterman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    #8
    I would wait to upgrade, especially if you have information regarding problems. No software is "flawless" and it impossible to test updates against all possible hardware and software permutations. Interestingly the server version of 10.6.5 has been pulled by Apple because of network problems (appleinsider.com). After all, what is the rush to update?

    As far as backup, I would recommend copying an image to another drive using CCC prior to any OS update.
     

Share This Page