Is the 10mb download cap removed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raphy, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Raphy macrumors member

I'm pretty sure i remember part of OS 3.0 was the removal of the 10mb download cap over 3g. This was one of the features that I've been dying for as i listen to podcasts at work and having to stream them is hell because they tend to cut out once in a while and finding you place again sucks. Also, trying to use any other function on the phone while streaming seriously increases the chance of the stream or 2nd app quitting on you. I downloaded the GM 3.0 and tried to download and to my surprise...the cap is still there. WTF?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Never heard is was going to be removed. That is an ATT policy not a software limitation.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Actually, the 10MB cap is also in effect here in Japan, where AT&T has no jurisdiction. ;)

4. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Crazy that there is going to be wireless downloads of movies in 3.0 and At&T is going to block it on their end. There are just not enough wifi hotspots to make this feature practical without the ability to do it over 3g.

I have to believe that Apple is really upset with AT&T and I wouldn't be surprised if either they move to another carrier or dramatically alter their deal with AT&T when the time comes.

5. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I just hope Steve will do something about this when he finally comes back, because he's the only real person who can. :D

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Seriously, these little "AT&T Restrictions" are ridiculous.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Steve Will

Fix Apple Then AT&T and all the other Evil Cell carriers then go over help Microsoft fix there bugs. then Solve the common cold, put a end to war and then for dinner fix the perfect steak! :rolleyes:

8. Unibody8764 macrumors newbie

the 10mb cap is probably removed.

im on att on the 3.0 GM, and i downloaded 5 episodes of lost over 3G. it took a while, but i used their network to do it. if apple has it set up so we can download 600 GB movies and tv shows, a few mb's over 10 shouldn't matter.

[​IMG]

9. Thudstaff macrumors newbie

It's stuff like this that makes me think I may just stay with Sprint. On their network, unlimited data actually means unlimited data.

10. Raphy thread starter macrumors member

How'd you do that??? I've been attempting to download podcasts and the message pops up asking me to connect wifi. Is it just for movies that the cap is removed?

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

AT&T is not the only one though the guy from Japan mentioned the same problem! Plus I know if I was overseas I would be really annoyed by all the AT&T rants. I been with allot carriers Sprint, Verizon, now AT&T none are perfect just deciding the lesser evil. also lots of phones are exclusive to one carrier. the carrier does that in hopes that it will win you over too them. and the reason we unlock them is too give people more options.

12. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Evidently. It's still in place for Apps at least.

13. Unibody8764 macrumors newbie

i just tried downloading a podcast and other videos, im getting the 10MB error. so i guess apple fixed that mistake, sadly. i liked the idea of downloading obscene amounts of multimedia over AT&T networks.

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes, the 10MB cap was removed at least two weeks ago. I've been able to download songs that last over 10 minutes. They had to remove it in order to allow movie and music video downloads.

15. lunarmac macrumors member

The 10MB cap is still in effect in OS 3.0.

Just tried downloading a podcast and got the cap message.

This sucks. I was really looking forward to download podcasts on the road without seeking wifi.

16. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yeah it's still there. I did download songs larger than 10MB last week. I thought the whole idea behind 3.0 was to allow movie and video downloads over 3G as well as WiFi.