Is the 11in MBA Battery that bad? (Need help purchasing)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vcof2005, Feb 16, 2012.

1. vcof2005 macrumors member

I am having a dilemma on which computer to choose. I current have an iPad 2 and a Macbook Pro (Base 13' 2010 core duo). I want to purchase a Macbook Air as a secondary computer to take with me to work at my new job (I work 9 hour shifts). I need to make a decision soon because I work in an apple store and I will leaving at the end of the month in order to fulfill my full time duties at the new job. I need to use my employee discount ASAP. I primarily want the Air for speedy internet use (HUGE FACTOR), documents, streaming video (Youtube, HBO Go, and Netflx), and twitter. I don't play any computer games. I would buy the 11 inch but the complaints about the battery I am seeing are really discouraging. I've had more than enough time in store to demo both but with them being plugged in all day, and me selling them, I truly have no real world experience.

2. Xikum macrumors 6502

Apple are quite good with their estimates of battery life.
    General browsing the internet or word processing will give you about 4-5 hours of battery life. However, the moment you start watching YouTube videos, playing Flash games,etc, expect battery life to go down to about 3 (or less if your doing intensive stuff).

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Speedy internet" is a function of your internet connection, usually not what computer you're on (as long as it's made within the past few years).

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I think my 2010 11" is pretty good for a laptop in terms of battery life. It's much better than my white Plastic (pre-unibody) MacBook ever was. Also charges back up much quicker.

I'd say I get the 5 hours with light use, although I don't generally run the battery down flat because I usually have the charger with me (I prefer clamshell mode because I hate the 11"'s 135 DPI display, and clamshell mode requires the charger). It also depends what you do with it of course. I'm usually just surfing and Xcoding a bit. If you really need lots of battery life you'll need to go for the 13".

Of course the iPad totally dwarfs any laptop in terms of battery life. Don't expect iPad-like battery performance.

6. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Under real-world normal usage (internet, youtube, facebook, mail, skype, etc), the 11" MBA battery lasts up to 4 hours, and the 13" MBA around 6 hours.

7. csds88 macrumors newbie

csds88

Get the 13" MBA -- is my vote

I've owned the 13" MBA since last fall and I do not regret it for one minute. The screen is larger and battery life is consistently 5-6 hours (real life usage). I know it's rated at 7+ hrs, but I'm a heavy user of WIFI and streaming stuff. Hope this helps you get off the fence. :)

8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Average usage, typically 3.5-4 hours.

I may have gotten up to 5 one or twice, but that was really pushing it (1 bar of brightness, no backlit keyboard, very few apps running, no streaming or flash, etc).