Is the 13" MacBook Pro good for development?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danest, Mar 9, 2011.

1. danest macrumors member

I want a 13" MacBook Pro. Is there enough screen space (1280 x 800) for development for iOS apps and web development, with ruby, php and some photoshop.

2. Jaimi macrumors regular

I don't think so - too tiny, and too hard to have your IDE, simulator, web browser (or whatever) all open and visible at the same time. I wouldn't use anything less than the high-res 15".

3. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

agreed in terms of screen estate it is real pia...

4. mashsensor macrumors member

I use it for development no problem. a 15 incher is better but not much better in fitting everything in either. I just plug it into a big screen when home, and take it with me on the go. I am pretty productive on the go with it using Eclipse, and VS. If you travel alot, id go 13 + external monitor combo. If you dont travel a lot, 15 is probably better overall, though id still recommend external monitor when home even with a 15 incher.

5. seek3r macrumors 6502

Yes, I know a lot of people who develop on ~12" ultraportables, and have for many years.

Of course it always depends on personal preference and type of work, I find personally a smaller screen fine for pure development but not for the casual media and web browsing use that goes along with my laptop (and I'd rather not carry 2 laptops), so I have a 15". YMMV, if you can , borrow a similarly sized laptop from a friend/relative and try it out (and if worse comes to worse Apple has their 14 day return policy....)

6. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

if you go that route, why not 13 inch mba?

If you are looking to code on the go, you will need mba not 13 inch mbp...

7. mehanika Guest

Ahoy Danest!

I was in the exact same spot, regarding what Mac to get for programming and mobility,

After much consideration (and testing on both the 15" and 13"), i must conclude that the diffrence is really not that big to be honest. I have been using a 13" for the last years, and i didn't find any need to upgrade the screensize.

If you have a 13" allready, you will find no problem using it for programning.

Besides - the computer can be hooked up to huge screens for, when you are home or just have the posibility. :)