Is the 15-inch MBP with only integrated graphics bad choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powerbook911, Dec 9, 2009.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I know these posts asking opinions on a particular model is probably annoying to some, but I'd sure appreciate some help.

I'm considering purchasing someone a 15-inch MBP that only has the 9400M. This machine after rebate is $1499 from Mac Connection, which makes it only $200 more than the high end 13. Yes, you only gain the screen on this configuration, but $1499 is an attractive price for a 15.

However is this model seen as a bit of an odd model, in that it only has integrated graphics?

The user would never play games, so it seems paying for the second graphics card would be unnecessary ? Whereas the benefit of the extra screen real estate, would be nice for them surely.

Opinion? Many thanks.

2. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

if you need it today, buy it, unless you are planning on some games (like COD) it will do. but i would wait a week or four for next line- early 2010 which will come out jan-feb

3. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

there was a post earlier here that had a comparison between the 9400m and the 9600m. the difference? minimal.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

5. Nano2k macrumors regular

In gaming it will not be minimal the 9600 is a lot faster. If you are not going to game dont bother spending the extra money. I have a MBP 15 and I never use the 9600, mainly because the computer gets very hot even watching videos and I cant see any performance increase for non-gaming use.

I mean for the costs involved vs the performance, mobile gfx chipsets are a joke anyway. A lot slower than their desktop counterparts.

6. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

As long as the user does not plan on gaming or doing intense work in Final Cut Pro, the base model 15 is a good choice. It's all a matter of preference. If the screen size is appealing to the buyer, I would say go for it.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bad choice for who? Someone who plays lots of games or needs to leverage the power of the 9600m? Yeah that might be considered a bad choice.

Overall, the 9400m is an excellent well performing GPU, even if its an integrated GPU. For the record I own a dual GPU 15" MBP and it stays on the integrated GPU 90 - 95% of the time. i noticed almost no difference between the two and why run on the discreet gpu, consuming more power and generating more heat when the integrated gpu works so well.

8. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Sounds great. I really think in this case they'd never turn on the 9600, so might as well not pay the money and not have something else in there to break I suppose.

Glad to hear it's not an awful idea.

9. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I happen to think it's an excellent choice, but then I bought one early last month and am biased. I use mine for mobile support for my photography hobby (Lightroom/Photoshop/Capture), VMWare, and the usual document processing, email and web surfing. I don't play games, nor do I do any 3D rendering. I ordered mine with the anti-glare option, and I upgraded it to 8GB of RAM. I posted a quick user review on cnet last week: link. I'm happy as a clam.

10. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

IMO there are far better options to spend it. I've had a GMA laptop and never needed anything more. So now, I am more than happy with the 9400.

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

IMO any machine over $1000 without an expresscard or pcmcia card slot is a bad choice. Go vintage, silver keys, it is a much better value.

12. rowsdower macrumors 6502

If I were going to by a 15, I would get the one without dedicated graphics. As others have said, it depends entirely on who is using it.

13. Nickm4N macrumors member

I got the same and I must say, it is perfect. When you don't play games, you absolutely have no need for the 9600. I haven't come into a situation where I would need it.

I also play NFS MW on my 9400, works like a charm with very decent settings.