Is the 15" rMBP due for an update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dmw16, Nov 7, 2012.

1. dmw16 macrumors regular

The buyers guide says yes, but I haven't heard of anything coming.

Thanks.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

No, it is not.

The Buyer Guide says "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle". This recommendation is based on the average time of release of refreshes of the MacBook Pro line, and not on actual facts.

The current 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display sports the latest family of Intel processors (Ivy Bridge). In addition, it contains the top-range non-extreme mobile Ivy Bridge processors (i7 at 2.3 and 2.6 GHz, respectively, for the base and high end model). Intel has not yet released any processors that supersede or replace those found inside the 15" MacBook Pro. In addition, the 15" MacBook Pro is equipped with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650, which is part of the most current famiy of NVIDIA mobile video cards.

So, there is nothing to update the 15" MacBook Pro with. It will probably get an update next year, though, when Intel releases Haswell, which is expected to arrive between March and June according to leaked roadmaps.

4. superhrixenz macrumors member

Is Intel going to keep the naming system like core i3/i5/i7 for Haswell?

5. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes (at least there is no rumors indicating otherwise). However, ULV processors with a 10W TDP may carry a differente brand name (http://apcmag.com/intel-mulls-new-brand-for-super-low-power-processor.htm). These ULV processors may (or may not) equip the next generation of MacBook Airs.

6. iPersian macrumors regular

can we count on a march-april release from intel and an update on mbpr at that time?

7. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

Mac Pro user: You can't count on anything.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I thought so but now it seems all out if whack.

9. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Probably just before or just after Haswell launch. Apple most likely will not spec bump Ivy chips as the gains are not worth it. But nothing is certain. You may have noticed they do what they want. Surprise or no surprise.

10. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

can't you guys just wait? If they update their machine too often (iPad) a mob is ready with pitchforks...

11. boto macrumors 6502

boto

What about the incremental i7 spec boosts released in October? There is a Intel i7-3740 and 3840, opposed to the 3720 and 3820 models, which both increase 1Ghz of processing performance. Apple could release a silent update for these processors to remain on track with current technology, as well as continue to be competitive with other manufacturers. My intuition tells me that Apple will shift to these processors in either December or January because they usually release updated units every 6 months for the past several years.

As for Haswell, I believe I read somewhere from an article that Intel plans to release them in the 2nd quarter of 2013, so we can expect new models between April to June, depending on when Nvidia releases the updated GPUs.