Is the 15" too big for the couch / Lap ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IngerMan, Feb 13, 2012.

1. IngerMan, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I been seeing some really good deals on older 15" MBP's. And I really like the screen size. The quality of the screen.

I am not looking to purchase one to travel with outside the home, I take my MBA with me for work.

I hate being tied down at my iMac upstairs in my office. My use is mostly consumption, office, and amateur photography, a little video.

I find myself using my 11" in 3 areas on the main floor of my house, Kitchen table, couch, recliner. It rest well on my lap.

Do I need another toy, no.... But are there 15" users out there that prefer the 15" in a recliner or sofa, or do you find it works best at the desk? Do you use it for consumption or just heavy lifting?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it is, you have a reeeeealllyyy small couch! :D

I use a 15" non-unibody and it's very portable and comfortable, whether on my very large (big enough for more than one person AND a 15" MBP!) couch/sofa, or anywhere I need to use it. The unibodies are about the same size.

3. bdinger macrumors member

bdinger

My late 2011 pro (2.5 i7/AG/16GB) is currently sitting in my lap, and it's perhaps the best "laptop" I've ever had. I'm currently taking a break from a FCPx/Motion composition that's in 1080p/24p. Frankly, I am a bit in awe of the horsepower this thing has while balancing being a true "laptop".

I was able to do similar with PC laptops that I was saddled with for similar work over the past 3 years, but not completely. I still had to rely on a heavy lifting desktop for encodes or serious work, or deal with tradeoffs.

Also my MBP is the most comfortable Apple "laptop" I've had, and I've had a few: original 500mhz TiBook, 500mhz iBook G3, 550mhz TiBook, 1.67ghz AlBook, late 2009 white MacBook.

For me the screen real estate, horsepower, and overall system power just kill any complaints I'd ever have about the machine.

4. IngerMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Thanks guys for the quick reply. I edited my title because what I did mean was on the couch with the laptop on the LAP.

Glad to hear that works well for you. I want a bigger screen and I already had the 13", If I dive, I want to one up it.

I would think if anything it would run cooler then the MBA, although for my couch surfing, heat is not an issue regardless.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't have to change your title. I knew what you meant. I was just playin' with the title! :)

Everyone has their own opinion, but for me the 15" is the best balance between portability, power and screen real estate. The 17" is not as portable, and my old eyes couldn't deal with the tiny 13" screen. YMMV

6. IngerMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Thanks JJ, Yes my eyes have been going on me lately. I am tired grabbing the reading glasses on and off. I had the 13" and I need more for consumption.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know exactly how you feel! It's a royal pain to always have to put the glasses on to see anything! Too many decades of staring at computer screens, I guess! The 15" doesn't eliminate the need for glasses, but at least I don't have to use binoculars, as I would with a smaller screen.

8. camardelle macrumors 6502

I'm using my 13" on my lap right now and I think it's perfect. Not too bug and not too small. I knew I'd use the laptop for just this when I looked at the MBA, but decided on the MBP because of the extra inches on the screen. I thought the 15" would have been overkill for me personally, and the 17" would have felt like having my iMac in my lap. LOL!!

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I use my 15" MBP on my lap all the time. No problems.

10. maehara macrumors regular

Regularly use my 17" on my lap, and apart from heat (once ended up with some very strange mottled patterns on my legs - took the doctor a while to work out it was the heat from the laptop that was causing it, I've used a cushion between me and the laptop ever since) I've never had an issue. 15" would seem lightweight by comparison...

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I currently have a 13" MBP, but I've owned a 15" in the past and I'm planning on buying a 15" again. I've used the 15" MBP on my lap and it was fine. The 13" does seem to fit a bit better but you lose some screen real estate which is what I need.

12. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

Initially, this was a big issue for me. I had my eyes set on the 15" model, but chose to go with the 13" instead—portability and "lapability" being my biggest concerns. When I had the chance to try my friend's 15" model, I then realized what a mistake it was to go with the 13". That was in 2010 and I've learned my lesson ever since. Now I'm rocking a MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2011) with the Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display.

I use my 15" on the couch regularly and it's a lot more comfortable to look at 1680x1050 pixels on a 15" display than 1280x800 on a 13". It's a day and night difference you will notice for sure. Plus, the added size of the 15" helps keep the MacBook Pro in balance on my lap, and I consider myself a normal adult. (My BMI is 26 if that says anything and my physique is good.) Occasionally, I do miss the lighter weight of the 13", but if portability is your concern, you might want to look into a MacBook Air instead.

In short: go for the 15". :)

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

No.

[​IMG]

14. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

I found 15" to be the minimum to use as a laptop, unless you LIKE sitting with your legs squeezed together.

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I use mine in a hammock quite frequently. I guess for my skinny 17 year old cousin it would be look a bit too big for her lap but for a grown 6 ft guy it needs that size.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I used to have a 12" Powerbook, and I actually like my 15" MBP better. It seems to be a more comfortable size, for both screen real estate and resting on my lap. A 17" would be too big for me, but the 15" is perfect.

17. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I have exactly the same laptop and can attest to its quality and usefulness as a portable, including on the sofa. It's just such a great machine and the perfect size IMHO.

18. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm spoiled with a 13" laptop, but I remember my former 17" to be simply huge and unconformable while in the couch.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Completely subjective. I'd say no. YMMV.