Is the 16 GB enough or 32GB?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macswitcha2, May 10, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I hear that I should get the 32GB because the apps take more room. I don't think I'll be storing videos so which is enough for me? I have has 16GB iPhone for over a year and I have yet to reach half the space.

2. vant macrumors 65816

Only you will know. Kinda like asking us what your favorite vegetable is.

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Really depends on you.

If you really intend on loading up the IPad as something that has a little of everything when you take it with you, yeah you may want 32. If you are one that regularly 'edits' what he takes along, then 16 will do you fine.

Yes the apps do take more room this time around. Some apps like Elements are large by themselves. Other apps like Pages or ComicZeal allow you to add content to them, adding to their size. My IPad currently shows 73 apps clocking in a little over 5gb according to Itunes.

Also remember as always, you aren't truly getting 16 or 32gb. My IPad says the capacity is actually 29gb.

4. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Others have asked the same question.. if you want to see what people said search the forums.

But I think you answered your own question.. stating your iPhone's usage.
    And I don't think the size of (iPad) apps will be that much bigger either.

5. Vic-Viper macrumors regular

I found 32 limiting. There are apps that are going above and beyond 1gb. GPS apps store map data locally and easily take 1gb. Movies from itunes traditionally take 1.2 gb. I switched to a 64gb after running out of space on the 32. Dont get me wrong, I don't load it with movies or go nuts with content. I had a few movies at most and some high profile apps. It doesn't take as much these days.

6. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i have a 16GB (14.9GB when put on itunes!)

so far i have 7.9GB left.:rolleyes:

i have 3 movies, 60 songs, 30 apps, 200 photos.

16GB is plenty for me

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Do a search. There are already a billion threads on this.

8. Rockdoc macrumors newbie

Rockdoc

I have the 16gb...no size issues so far!

I have the 3g 16gb Ipad and have 4 movies, over 100 songs and 150 pics plus about 15 apps. I am just over half and have everything I need for a couple of weeks.

I battled long and hard with myself about whether or not to go with the 32 or 64 and am very happy that I didn't. With the ABC player, Netflix streaming, Pandora plus an amazingly acurate and functional map...16 is plenty. Yes there are several big apps, but come on...I think the question that needs to be asked is how often do you sync with Itunes or should I say how often can you conveniently sync with itunes? I have only synced mine 2 times since the 30th and have plenty of room without an regrets on available space.

Hope that helps...to each his/her own!

9. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Many of the higher end iPad only apps are 180-250mb. 4 of those and a gig is gone. 75mb-100mb iPad apps are common. most iPhone apps were 1-5mb.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've already filled over half of my 64gb iPad--and I plan to get a lot more on there. I think the more memory the better. I know its a little irrational, but at $100 increments you get twice the capacity at each step--its much easier for me to spend the extra $100 now than have to constantly manage my content. Now I can put almost everything I'd want to watch or listen to without thinking about it.

I wouldn't even consider the 16gb. Yes, you can stream some content but those services are *far* from being reliable or high quality especially on AT&T's 3G network (if you're getting that model). I had Pandora on my iPhone and tried to use it at the gym--it constantly stopped or the application crashed--same deal with simplify.

The 16gb will be the first to be discontinued--I'm betting it won't even make it a year. That means the 32 will be the base model.

11. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

No one will ever need more than 16GB of storage... that is you won't need it before the iPad 3GS comes out in 12 months :D

12. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Goldilocks found the 16GB too small. She then tried the 64GB and found it too large. But alas, she found the 32GB JUUUUUST right!

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I had initially thought that 16GB would be enough; but reading other threads on here I was moving towards 32GB as I sat on the fence over whether to buy the iPad or not.

In the end I decided on doing the 64GB - why not it is only another $100 ROFL So glad that I did. I do some travel from time to time. Also a photographer. Also ADD sometimes in my music choices.

The attached pic shows how I have filled up the iPad so far. This reflects six videos so far BTW. All but one was ripped from DVD's that I own. I also am looking at subscribing to some of the Pixel Mags that they offer.

Add to that the photos are inflated due to my shooting in RAW and JPEG for 52 images.

In the end I would get a 32GB or 64GB based on what you can afford. There will be many more Apps down the road that are memory hogs is my opinion.

Attached Files:

14. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Thanks for the photo break down. I went with 32GB and am glad I did because 64GB would be an overkill for me.
    Music... the MAX i would have is like 5GB at once (more likely about 2-3GB or even less).
    And videos maybe 5 movies and 1-2 seasons of TV shows (max 20GB) only for traveling.

Cheers!

15. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I say at least the 32GB, but consider the 64GB 3G.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Glad to be of help there :)

As to music... never knew how much of 60+ GB that I want with me. :eek:

As you can tell I love my 64GB iPad. Wishing there was an 128GB option. LOL

17. iceman42 macrumors regular

16 gb and 32 gb is not enough space 64 gb is barley enough space for all my stuff i have downloaded from iTunes