Is The 17" Gone For Good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shuffles, Aug 12, 2012.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

Have Apple completely ceased it's production or is there a possibility of a new one around the corner?

2. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

If there is enough outcry it could return. Apple tends to pay more attention to their mobile customers.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Looks like Apple has moved on from the 17"
    I had a Core 2 Duo 17" and loved it
    But it was apparently not as popular as the other models

5. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Damn! Hopefully. I'm currently travelling and sold my late 2010 MBP 13" before I left and I have nothing to return to when I get back in a few weeks. I've spent the year away on my iPod Touch and do thought since that went perfectly well, I'd get an iPad and then later on an iMac as a base. But recently, the more I think about it, the more I'm now thinking of getting a new MBP and accompanying iPhone when I return. The reason I was going for an iMac was because I'm looking to get into digital art and thought that would be an apt choice but if Apple decide to release a new 17", that would probably do the job? Also, on a side note, I've just seen someone with a 13" MBA and it seems to look a lot different than the one I used to own (I had the launch 2008 model). Has it been redesigned since then? It seems to be more unified or something.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

7. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

I'm looking at it now and it is very tempting indeed! I won't be home till October and I've heard rumblings throughout this forum of a possible r13 and r17. Would you recommend the new rMBP for digital art? I'm going to be using a Cintiq 22HD to hook up to whatever Mac I end up getting.

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

It's not as good?

Anyways, with the new slim and light construction and internals, a retina 17" MBP would still be lighter than a 15" classic MBP. Of course, if the present GPU cries trying to power the 15" retina screen, I shudder to think what would happen if it was made to push almost 80% more pixels...

Hopefully the 17" will be back in a year or two, when GPU technology gets to the point that it can comfortably support 9.2 megapixel resolutions, let alone much higher resolutions that have been scaled down to fit a 3840x2400 screen.

If the 15" MBP can display 1200p scaled res, that means any 17" MBP would be expected to display 1600p scaled res. Which with Apple's scaling hocus pocus, would mean the GPU is rendering at over 16 megapixels...

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Well - my graphic design doesn't go much beyond whipping up a few images together for presentations... but I would recommend the rMBP on the basis that the display is an IPS display (so more accurate colors than any other MBP), and the extra real estate can definitely come in handy. However, Adobe is dragging their feet on upgrading the CS6 apps. So for everything to look good right now, you'll have to set the resolution to 2880x1800. Which is workable if you have good eyes, but it does take some getting used to.