Is the 17" MBP really THAT big?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BG-Mac, Jan 8, 2009.

1. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

I'm trying to decide between buying the upgraded 15" or the new 17" MBP. Is the 17" really THAT much bigger than the 15"? To those who have owned or own a 17" are they cumbersome to carry with you on a daily basis? Thanks in advance.. :)

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

If ure going to be carrying it around the 15" is ure lappy 4 sure... the 17" is fairly bigger which is why I personally ended up buying the 15".

3. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

There is not much of a difference in weight since it is 0.5 lb only. The 17" would be my choice over the 15" all the way.

4. zorahk macrumors 6502

Jesus christ it is huge, have you ever seen one?

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

To me 17" laptops seem hugely cumbersome because of their dimensions. The wieght doesnt bother me at all, but I PERSONALLY do not need all that real estate. Thats why I will be buying a macbook soon, or if somehow the money Ive been putting aside and not counting is more than Ive assumed a 15" pro perhaps??

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I had the 17" mbp, at first you would think its big but after a couple of weeks it shrinks again!

Smallest 17" ever made.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its not actually that big really, if you think its large or heavy you obdviously didnt work very hard at school or have to carry a lot of books around. I agree if your a 6 year old girl then the difference between the 15" and the 17" may affect you, but im not 6 and im not a girl so its really no problem for me. My main concern is that since its quite wide, when i carry it in a side bag in my hand its like a magnet for people to hit and walk into :(

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Again, the OP is asking for SIZE.

The comments about being 6 and not being able to carry it need not apply.

I feel 17" is kind of cumbersome.

9. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Last time I tried to decide on which size to get I took note of the dimensions and looked for a book roughly that size. I have a few coffeetable books that have about the 17" MBP's size for example. Perhaps you have too.
    If not, cut some old cardbord boxes to size. Or fold them to size and tape them into one block.

Then just pretend these books are your new MBP and handle them like you would handle the MBP. Put them in the bags you would put them in. Put them on your desk, hold them, put them on your lap sitting on the couch, etc.

You'll quickly get the idea of their size difference, whether they fit in your bags (or if you're going to have to buy new bags too).

Doing that I last time decided to go for the smaller size.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's exactly what the OP is asking about. He's not asking, "Do you think I could bench a 17 inch Macbook Pro?" He's asking if it's a cumbersome size for a laptop.

My answer would be: Yes. I think the 17 inch pro is for people who sometimes need to move around, but are always using their computer at a desk or on a flat surface. It's just a slightly more mobile iMac.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If portability is a huge factor, get the 15" mbp.

12. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I think it's personal preference. At times I find that the 15" MBP is kinda bulky to carry around too, but I know of guys who bring 17" computers to school such as the Dell 1720 & Asus G2S, and they think it's fine. But well I'm a girl soooo... :p

Maybe you could try cutting a cardboard the same size as a 17" MBP, walk around with it all day, and see if you find it troublesome. :)

13. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

The 17" is quite large. I love the screen real-estate and all that, but it is just too large to carry around.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just do remember though that a 17" mbp is still considered a desktop replacement.

15. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

The dimensions are :
    Height: 0.98 inch (2.50 cm)
    Width: 15.47 inches (39.3 cm)
    Depth: 10.51 inches (26.7 cm)
    Weight: 6.6 pounds (2.99 kg)

Find a ruler and measure your books to find one about that size. Get a scale and find one about the same weight. Carry it around for a minute, put it on your lap, etc.

I had a 17", now I have a 15". I miss the screen real estate, especially when trying to show off work or work in a group. Now, with the 15" I've yet to notice any benefit to the smaller size or weight day to day, except of course, for the $800 difference in price.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

lol great idea! The new Macbook Pro iBudget :p dont go in the rain :eek:

17. SmokyD macrumors regular

Haha lol! Let's see you try carrying around a 24" iMac!!

I think "slightly" is the new understatement of the day, unless by "slightly" you mean "massively" or "monstrously" or "stupendously".:D

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The 17 inch iMac was pretty portable... but I agree slightly is an understatement.

19. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

hmmm. i used to 'carry' the ibook in a briefcase sleeve. it all depends on what carrying with you means. if you have a card, it does not matter if your computer is a desktop, you will be fine. if you are walking, taking the train and buss, 15 inch is way too big as your will get strained and your machine will take a beating and it will get in the way. 17 inch is a disaster waiting to happen.

i hope for a good small laptop that i can downgrade to as my 15 inch is a killer...

20. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

A while back I was in the position to buy a MacBook Pro. While these may have been the older design, the size is still pretty much equivalent. I got the 15" and 17" lined up next to each other in the store and the 17" was absolutely huge compared to the 15". The 17" is more of a desk-to-desk machine where the 15" is much more useable while on the go.

21. SmokyD macrumors regular

I have a 17" MBP and use it as a desktop replacement at home and at work, and I agree that it's more suitable as a desk-to-desk computer than a commuting computer.

I guess it boils down to the circumstances of moving around. If you just need to transport it from point A to point B as I do, then 17" is not a big issue, unless you have a long distance to walk. It you need to whip it out and use it throughout the day and need something light and don't need the firepower of a MBP, get the macbook, or if you really need more power and features (dare I say it...) a Vaio.

If you plug into a larger external monitor at home or work and need a good power/size compromise, the 15" MBP is probably the best bet.

22. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

no. the fact is that if you're carrying around a laptop, 15 vs 17 isn't that big of a deal.

it would be a difference between a netbook and a full size notebook because the size difference is so great.

i would always get as big as i could afford. The increased resolution and increased productivity is worth everything. possible exception is if you specifically need to work in small places on a regular basis like an airplane.

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think the newer question is wether its important for you to change the hard drive and battery as the 17" doesn't offer that luxury but it does offer a longer built in battery.....
    also consider how and where you carry it. If your running to trains/airports subways it might get cumbersome. if your walking to your car to your office/school and back then 17" might not be so bad if it fits on a desk

Also what are you going to be using with it? Photo editing/PS/FCS? Then i could see the 17 incher being beneficial.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

From the pictures in the keynote, the hard drive is as easy as removing a few screws, then its exactly like the other MB & MBP

25. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yeah it is that easy but Apple decided with this model doing that would void the warranty.