Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
The 17" Powerbook is definately one of the coolest most sought after notebooks ever made, it is indeed one of a kind and has loads of goodies but not without its quirks.
Major shipping delays due to manufacturing problems, some little quirks here and there but nothing really major, but is the 17" destined to be that one-of-a-kind computer that everyone wants but nobody can afford?

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
probably,
i d like to have one :D but can truly not afford it. So i ll wait for the new bp 15'' and buy that one .. perhaps one day or another a cinema display. Perhaps.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Afford? Who needs to be able to afford it. sell your mother, sell the kids, hell vniow, sell your shoes... (ok gone too far there).

I threatened to resign my lectureship if they didn't buy me one, so they did.

It is without doubt the greatest machine Apple have ever made, even if it clicks and pops occasionally, all first production models have their foibles, thats why we love them:D

Mine is currently experiencing video problems, it keeps freezing the screen, it's going back to Apple next week, I don't think it's a generic problem, mearly a hardware fault with mine.

I think the 17" AlBook will be regarded as one of THE great Apple machines.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I think that this is a diifferent issue than the cube. The cube flopped because it was a consumer machine at a very large cost. The PowerBook on the other hand has been geared towards those that have the money to spend. There is no way this thing is going to fail.

P-Worm

Wano

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2002
I am only 17 and I worked for about 3 months and saved every penny so I could buy it....I use it for video editing and graphics. I love this machine, it was well worth the money.

Wren

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Wano
I am only 17 and I worked for about 3 months and saved every penny so I could buy it....I use it for video editing and graphics. I love this machine, it was well worth the money.

I second the motion. I am so glad that I watied until MWSF when Jobs announced the new PB's. I waited for two months from Apple to finally get the computer and this machine is worth it.....machine is AMAZING!:D

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
im sorry...but too expensive!?!?! when i got my 15" TiBook, it was like 3300. The new 17" isnt much more expensive than the original TiBooks did last summer, and you are getting more for your buck.

The TiBook sold great for apple, so i dont see why you would think that a computer that gives you more for the same price would suddenly fail.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Okay okay, maybe I should have worded it differently, I didn't mean to say that it was too expensive or anything, I meant to say that like the Cube, the 17" is one of the most unique and sought after products that Apple has made in recent years but its also had its maufacturing quirks which are likely respossible for the delay so I'm wondering if say the 15" gets a 970 before the 17" or somehting (just hypohetical) will the 17" be phased out and become sort of a cult icon like the Cube?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
A Mac store near to my house just sold about 10 units in one week.

You ahve to count that:

We are close to a civil war.
We can not buy foreing currency.
50% unemployment population.
30% of company in banckropsy just this year.
A 30% inflation just this year.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
It may be a foreshadowing of the future of desktop systems, or at least all-in-ones. There are more benefits than detractions to such a system, less the cost. I think that this keeps it out of reach for most people. I know a few people who have made it their desktop system, and they did it in a similar fashion to WinterMute. -Some professionals can do those sorts of things. ;)-

If it becomes a dinosaur, it’s because it was just created before its time. The Newton was a perfect tool, but lacked a large market and was also very expensive. I much imagine that other manufactures will imitate the 17” PowerBook. I also guess that they won’t get it quite right.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Unlike the Cube - this will never be a dinosaur or a one off item from Apple. I think you'll see a 17" laptop for years to come - it just makes sense if you've ever used a laptop to want more screen space.

I'd love to have one, but I'm holding out for the 970s....

D

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Same here -- I was going to buy a 17", but I decided to wait for the possibility of a 970-enabled one.

When I do get one, I think it will go very well with my Cube. :D

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Well, I particularily didn't want the 17". I got the 15" instead. The only difference was no AP extreme, Bluetooth, FW 800, and no 17" screen. I got the 15" because it is mainly more portable. Not to mention I have a 17"CRT I can hook up to my PB.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by mymemory

You ahve to count that:

... So more people are getting portable computers, so they can take them with them when they move somewhere else?:(

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
i think the pc world has answered with a 17"...
there is a real market for the 17". the production quirks may have just been standard rev. a issues. i hope they keep the 17" around long enough for me to replace my ti with one...

freundt

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Seattle
Originally posted by mymemory

You ahve to count that:

Uhhh... what country do you live in?
Got any facts to back up those statments? they seems a tad too extreme. :confused:

tazo

macrumors 68040
freundt,

the guy who said all that stuff is frrom Venezuela. Thats in South America. You do know where South America is? right :)?

I believe that the 17'' powerbook is not like the cube, because the cube was actuallt a really good idea, that was never marketed as such. The 17'' powerbook is for the man who has everything but wants an apple :)

freundt

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2003
Seattle
Originally posted by tazo
freundt,

the guy who said all that stuff is frrom Venezuela. Thats in South America. You do know where South America is? right :)?

I believe that the 17'' powerbook is not like the cube, because the cube was actuallt a really good idea, that was never marketed as such. The 17'' powerbook is for the man who has everything but wants an apple :)

uhh.. didn;t notice that :eek:

oops... :(

ms_apple

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Hi, I am the newbie here @MacRumors. Could need some help from fellow Mac Brothers & Sisters!

I am thinking getting the 17" Powerbook but afraid that I am making a mistake.

Currently I own a 867mhz TiBook with Combo drive, it costed me $3200 last summer. Little did I know that I DO NEED the Superdrive!!!

Should I get the ext. firewire drive to burn the DVD or should I just suck it up and sell my soul and get that 17" beauty?

One concern: Is Apple going to lower the price for the current 17" model? Does anyone know / hear about it?

Thanks! Any help will be highly appreciative!!

The MacGirl

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I considered buying one but the screen just seemed too big. What do those of you who own one say? Is it worth the extra weight for the larger display? Portability is big for me, so if the screen isn't worth the weight (LOL) then I'll wait for the 15.4" AlBook.

Visit Blue Pudding!
http://bluepudding.1hwy.com

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by ms_apple
Hi, I am the newbie here @MacRumors. Could need some help from fellow Mac Brothers & Sisters!

I am thinking getting the 17" Powerbook but afraid that I am making a mistake.

Currently I own a 867mhz TiBook with Combo drive, it costed me $3200 last summer. Little did I know that I DO NEED the Superdrive!!!

Should I get the ext. firewire drive to burn the DVD or should I just suck it up and sell my soul and get that 17" beauty?

One concern: Is Apple going to lower the price for the current 17" model? Does anyone know / hear about it?

Thanks! Any help will be highly appreciative!!

The MacGirl

No chance they're going to lower the price. It's probably the only product keeping Apple profitable at the moment.

I, personally, never saw the point in having a portable computer with an external drive you had to lug around. Kind of defeats the purpose, IMHO.

Welcome to MacRumors. Glad to have you. ;)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Is the 17" Powerbook the new Cube?

Originally posted by vniow
The 17" Powerbook is definately one of the coolest most sought after notebooks ever made, it is indeed one of a kind and has loads of goodies but not without its quirks.
Major shipping delays due to manufacturing problems, some little quirks here and there but nothing really major, but is the 17" destined to be that one-of-a-kind computer that everyone wants but nobody can afford?

the cube did not have a proven market, and was too expensive for what you got

the 17" inch powerbook has the market, but may be too expensive so i don't think it will die a quick death

if the price stops people from getting the 17" inch powerbook in large enough numbers and apple does not lower the price, then the product may very well die out

looking at the specs, the 15" powerbook still seems to have the best of both worlds...portability and true desktop computing power

if the 15" inch size didn't exist and the only other choice was the 12" powerbook, then the people who love the 15" size would be forced to save a little longer and opt for the 17" inch size since the 12" inch powerbook is not enough laptop for someone who wants a large screen desktop replacement

that said, the 12" inch powerbook is still an amazing machine, it's light, and it does have the G4 which the ibook does not have yet

when and if the ibook line comes out with a G4 powered laptop, that may spell the end of the 12" inch powerbook line ...but i can't see it happening this year so buying the 12" powerbook still seems to be a safe buy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.