Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I just got my trade-in for my 2017 iMac and I am looking to spend it on something. 1TB iPad Pro 12.9 with Apple Care and Taxes comes out to be around $1,700. My trade-in is $1,200 so that is a good chunk taken off.

From what I gathered from other posts, this is the only version that has 6GB of RAM correct? Does this make a huge difference to where this should be purchased over the others?

What I plan to use it for: Apple Pencil and drawing some artwork for my video game project. Utilizing Sidecar to use Photoshop and other supporting software with the pencil would greatly help out. I would also like to play some games and watch movies/tv shows on it occasionally.

Also, does anyone know if external hard drives/SSDs will be supported in iPadOS with the USB-C connector - like the Samsung T5? Has anyone had a chance to see if offloading some iTunes content would work?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
In some apps users have reported to get more layers or faster rendering times but let me put it this way: if Apple could benefit from it, they would. Since there is no dedicated ads asking us to get the 1TB version specifically, not even they can be bothered.

Certain users of the terabyte version will certainly disagree but I bet that in the vast majority of real world scenarios you won’t see a speed difference to the other Pro models.

And just in case, buy from a place with a modern day return policy and give it a go! Lovely devices regardless of storage size. Enjoy!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iPad Pro 2018 right now is the only iPad that can practically support external storage device. That means, it can power almost all conventional storage devices through iPad, whether USB HDD, USB SSD, or something else, as long as file system support is present and drive itself is not Faulty. So, you can buy this 1TB iPad and rest assured that USB external storage support is not a serious problem.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
What is everyone's thoughts about a possible updated version next month? Should I hold off or buy it now?

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
More memory is nice. Only you know if you need that much storage.

If you can, I’d wait until October to see if the refresh rumors are true.

Well if 6GB of RAM is preferred, I am stuck looking at the 1TB model regardless if I need 1TB right?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Well if 6GB of RAM is preferred, I am stuck looking at the 1TB model regardless if I need 1TB right?
Unless you wait a month and they release new models featuring 6GB across the board... Which is probably advisable at this point. If they're a no-show, or nothing changes aside from the camera, you can look for a good deal on a 1TB after.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Unless you wait a month and they release new models featuring 6GB across the board... Which is probably advisable at this point. If they're a no-show, or nothing changes aside from the camera, you can look for a good deal on a 1TB after.

Great advice.

Reactions: max2

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The extra ram isnt used on anthying else except to manage storage. Its not going to make a perfomcance difference
I'm pretty sure if that was the case they would only have put in 1GB extra to cover it, or even 512MB, there's no way it needs a whole extra 2GB. It's like the iPhone 7 vs 7 plus, with the 3GB in the plus 'for the camera' - maybe so, but it didn't mean the system didn't also use the extra RAM for other things as well. Maybe less RAM available in the higher storage model was what made them do something to address it, but the end result is that specific model has more RAM available than the 4GB models. I'd probably have argued before iPad OS there was little benefit to more RAM (yet) but now you can use multiple instances of apps, there's definitely a case to be made if you're a heavy multitasker.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I just got my trade-in for my 2017 iMac and I am looking to spend it on something. 1TB iPad Pro 12.9 with Apple Care and Taxes comes out to be around $1,700. My trade-in is $1,200 so that is a good chunk taken off.

From what I gathered from other posts, this is the only version that has 6GB of RAM correct? Does this make a huge difference to where this should be purchased over the others?

What I plan to use it for: Apple Pencil and drawing some artwork for my video game project. Utilizing Sidecar to use Photoshop and other supporting software with the pencil would greatly help out. I would also like to play some games and watch movies/tv shows on it occasionally.

Also, does anyone know if external hard drives/SSDs will be supported in iPadOS with the USB-C connector - like the Samsung T5? Has anyone had a chance to see if offloading some iTunes content would work?
I asked Procreate about the added RAM and was told they don’t use the extra RAM. I honestly think that if you can get the price to drop from 1,549 to maybe 1,349 or less, yes... it’s worth it. Otherwise I’d wait to see if the 2020 iPad Pro comes with 6GB for all models.
Apple lowering the price by $200 helps but $1600 for an iPad is bonkers.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2 and kazmac

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I asked Procreate about the added RAM and was told they don’t use the extra RAM. I honearly think that if you can get the price to drop from 1,549 to maybe 1,349 or less, yes... it’s worth it. Otherwise I’d wait to see if the 2020 iPad Pro comes with 6GB for all models.
Apple lowering the price by $200 helps but $1600 for an iPad is bonkers.

Agreed but oh is it so nice to have 1 TB of storage!

Reactions: leebroath

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
The 1 TB Cellular 12.9 is like USD 2400ish in India. Can you beat that? This is just the iPad. No AC no accessories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.