Is the 2.6GHz option a Penryn?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eldaria, Mar 3, 2008.

1. eldaria macrumors member

I want to order the new MPB, and was looking to get the 2.6GHz option.
    But I can figure out if the 2.6GHz is a Penryn CPU and what are the specs on it, like how much cache is has.

2. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Yes. the 2.6GHz is a Peryn CPU also and it has 6 MB of cache just like the 2.5GHZ. I think I found it here.

-JoE

3. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

4. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

not to thread hijack but........ what kind of real world difference is there between a 3MB and 6MB L2 cache processor?

5. akadmon macrumors 68020

See Page 1 article today. The answer is not much.

6. eldaria thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for that.
    I know now why I did not see it.
    I was looking on the Tech Specs page. :confused:

It was actually the Anandtech review that made me confused since it mentioned everything from 3MB cahce to 6MB, and then in the tests it mentioned the 2.6 being Merom, so though I would ask. :)

Still havent decided if I want to go for the 15" or 17", the size difference is so little, but will for sure order it sometime next week when salary is in. :)
    Side question:
    Anyone know if you order a BTO laptop from apple, if they charge the credit card on the day of order or when they ship?

7. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

A bit confused !?

You know that amazes me - My 15.4" 2.4 GHz/2 GB RAM Penryn MBP boots up 5-6 seconds slower than my 2.2 GHz/ 1 GB RAM MB (bought 3 weeks back - not penryn and the mid config model)

Why would it be so ?
    All my years in Computer Science I have been taught that Cache in any significant proportion makes a difference in performance. From cold boot up, it would definitely make a difference. I guess that's what I am seeing when I boot both MB n MBP side by side and the MB hops ahead with a 4MB cache :)